Saturday, February 27, 2010

catching up


With my Ravelympics project done, I've been catching up on odds and ends. These Jaywalker socks were cast on before the opening ceremonies. I've worked at them through the Olympics on occasions when I needed some portable knitting on the go. It's a deceptively simple pattern which is really highlighted by variegated yarn. And are they comfortable! If I knit them again, I'd follow the example of other Ravelers to alter the cuff. The inch of K2P2 rib called for in the pattern instructions is clunky - it ends up distorted out of shape by the zig zag pattern below it. Much nicer to minimize the cuff and let it zig zag with the sock below it. Also I'd lengthen the legs - I was forced to abbreviate them because I was short of yardage in the stashed yarn I was using.

My Shur'tugal socks were completed hours before the Olympics started. But while rushing into my Ravelympics project, I never got around to taking a final photo. I've worn them several times in the last couple of weeks - they're quite comfortable - but I'm underwhelmed by them and I blame the yarn. Time to take a break from stashbusting and indulge in some fabulous yarn ... Mountain Color Bearfoot Handpainted sock yarn next, I think.

2 comments:

Wanderingcatstudio said...

Great socks! I love the colours of both!

Frieda said...

Very nice socks , I especially love the Jaywalkers , such anice colour !