Sunday, December 18, 2011

Year of Projects - Unst


feeling festive!

Knitting on the Road: Canada • Canal du Midi • Conwy • Dalarna • Denmark • Friday Harbor • Hiiumaa • Huron Mountain • New England • The Road to Oslo • Santa Fe • Spey Valley • Christmas in Tallinn • Traveler's Stockings • Uinta Cabin • Unst Whitby

It's a funny feeling to switch from knitting a cabled sock on size zero needles to a lacy sock on size one needles. It almost feels like I'm cheating, this pair of Unst socks is knitting up so quickly! Less than a week and the first sock is done. At this rate they'll be done way ahead of my December 29th deadline.

Nancy Bush named these socks Unst for the northernmost Shetland Island as it uses a traditional Shetland lace pattern called Columns and Arches. The pattern is very simple to work and to memorize. And quite pretty, I think, especially in this cashmere/merino/nylon blend sock yarn!

I'm lagging a bit behind on my Year of Projects with only the seventh of seventeen pairs of socks on the needles here at the halfway point in my year. But not to worry, it looks like I'll have plenty of time to catch up in the next couple of weeks. Almost all the gift knitting is done. And after tomorrow night's dinner, all the Christmas cooking and baking is also done. Lucky me!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those socks are beautiful. I love that rich red. It's so perfect for this time of year.

Wanderingcatstudio said...

You're in great shape for Christmas. I think I might have to take a closer look at that sock pattern - yours looks lovely.

Sandy said...

They look sooooooooo festive, awesome color. Thanks for the tip on doing cables. I'm anxious to get this cotton cloth done so I can try it with some nice fiber.

Unknown said...

Oh my I just love those socks, I love the colour and the lace and oh they are just yummy !, now when I think of knitting socks its something like that I want lol. Well done on what seems to be a super quick knit, I bet you'll make your deadline.

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous. Beautiful colour and design!

WildflowerWool said...

Love these new socks! Sounds like you have everything under control for Christmas, good for you!