Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Work-in-Progress Wednesday

Snow?! Need warm socks now!

I've mostly finished my first Coffee Mate sock. It was finished last night, but after trying it on I realized that I needed to pick out the bind off and redo it more loosely. With darkly coloured fuzzy splitty yarn this is turning out to be something of a challenge. Has to be done though!

I'm using a yarn called Katia Darling which is new to me. It's brush plied which I suppose explains the fuzziness and the splittiness. It's also very soft and warm. Other Raveler's have complained that the joins are terrible - sloppy and without regard to the continuity of the colours. I had exactly the same experience with this first ball of wool; I think you can see the abrupt transition from dark to light halfway up the leg? That's annoying. With my big feet I need all the yardage to make the socks the length I want them so I didn't think I should start cutting out sections to reinstate the colour continuity.

The pattern is a simple K2 P2 K4 P2 rib which I'm knitting toe-up with an afterthought heel. This is the first time I've done an afterthought heel, but I've always admired it on other blogs. With a striping yarn the striping pattern gets distorted with other heel constructions so I thought I'd give it a whirl here. I'm happy with the way the colours go but find this heel a bit short and square. There's probably more than one way to work an afterthought heel - I'll have to do some investigating - but this will do for now.

Now back to that bind off. I'd like to get that sorted out before I head to work this morning. Lots more to see at Tami's Amis!

11 comments:

Pretty Mades said...

Good for you for picking them out and doing it again. I'm too lazy to do that. Lovely colours.

Sarah (Crafts From The Cwtch) said...

Love those colours. I hate it when the colour changes like that - I've had that happen in Noro several times and find it very annoying.

x

SusanD1408 Crochet Addict said...

Love the colour, looking good!

Chrisknits said...

Love those colors!!

Calophi said...

Ugh. I hate it when the colors change that way. I'll never understand why they don't wind the yarn first to get the yardage and THEN dye it. I guess it's impractical somehow.

Marie/Underground Crafter said...

Very nice colors. I don't usually find browns to be as lovely but yours really are!

stitchin' girl said...

Very nice socks! I hate unpicking bind offs, good for you!!

Secret Sheep said...

Great colours. Very warm and cuddly.

Jenn said...

Nice socks. I love wool socks, but I do not like making them.

SarahFay said...

From the picture the color change doesn't look to bad. Hope you were able to redo the bind off.

Dee said...

I get so annoyed when "pricey" yarn has joins, especially when it messes up the color continuity.

I think your sock looks great though. It doesn't seem to bother the look of the sock.