Sunday, December 11, 2011

Year of Projects - from Denmark to Unst


gorgeous pattern, really!
Knitting on the Road: Canada • Canal du Midi • Conwy • Dalarna • Denmark • Friday Harbor • Hiiumaa • Huron Mountain • New England • The Road to Oslo • Santa Fe • Spey Valley • Christmas in Tallinn • Traveler's Stockings • Uinta Cabin • Unst • Whitby 

On the four hour drive to Ottawa yesterday, for an hour or so last night with my SIL, and on the four hour drive back from Ottawa today there was plenty of opportunity to knit. And I took full advantage.

My Denmark socks are done! The pattern is written for a heavier fingering weight than the Alpaca Sox yarn I decided upon so I knit them with a couple of extra repeats on size 0 dpns. The result? One of the most gorgeous pair of socks I've ever made. The pattern is very classic and very elegant and has more stretch than I would have imagined. I love those trademark Nancy Bush details like the Nupps that top the cable columns and the slim stockinette band on each side of the leg dividing the front and back of the sock. Awesome! Once again the photos in the book entirely fail to do this pattern justice. Now I only wish I had knit them in my own size instead of a smaller size for gift-giving ;)

Now, back to business. I've pulled this Pagewood Farms Aleksa yarn in the "Really Red" colourway from my stash for the next pair of socks. You won't mind if I skip ahead to Unst, will you? I'm in the mood for a lacey sock after all those cables!

6 comments:

Leftycrafter said...

You are inspiring me! I have that book but some of the socks look so intimidating. I only do Magic loop toe up so I have been a bit afraid of them. Maybe I need to learn how to do cuff down.

I love the purple socks and think the red socks will be very dramatic.

Unknown said...

Well done on getting the socks complete..oh my how lovely they are and in the purple colourway just delicious. Love the next pair you have planned as lace is one of my favourites and well with you opting for red, my fav colour, they'll be a winner in my eyes..looking forward to seeing them.

autumngeisha said...

So pretty. Love it knitted up in that lovely purple. The red yarn is gorgeous!

Delusional Knitter said...

Beautiful socks! Glad the yarn substitution worked out :o)

Alittlebitsheepish said...

Your socks look super. Lots of knitting time is the best thing about long journeys

Anonymous said...

oh wow. Just too, too lovely. I can't be the only person who'd love to see your sock drawer filling up with all these beauties!