Saturday, December 31, 2011

finished Heinz 57 socks

the snow is melting :(

Here they are: my Heinz 57 socks made from scraps of five different yarns on size 1 (2.25 mm) needles. Completing the pair took 76 grams of yarn total. Yes, another 76 grams stash-busted! This is my second try for an afterthought heel; this time I picked up extra stitches at each end to prevent holes and I skipped the knit rows between the decrease rows on the last few repeats to round the heel a bit more. Much better!

This morning I inventoried my sock yarn stash to get ready for Surmount the Stash 2012:

  • 14 x 100 gram skeins
  • 1200 grams of assorted sock yarn scraps

That's enough yarn for about 30-36 pairs of socks. If you had asked me yesterday how much sock yarn I had, I would have guessed about half that amount. Looks like it's true that knitters compulsively underestimate the size of their stashes. In 2011 I made about 26 pairs of socks, so my goal is to knit ALL of this yarn into socks by the end of the calendar year with the majority intended for the Warm Hands Network. Guess I'd better get started, huh?

Yesterday I was also pleasantly surprised by a new book to read on my Kobo Vox eReader. Thanks to my brother's family in Ottawa for their thoughtful gift: Knitting Rules by the Yarn Harlot. Based on the quiz I seem to fall mostly into the "Knitting Scientist" category - a methodical stasher who buys yarn with specific projects in mind, and yes, I travel with a tape measure. Doesn't everyone?

6 comments:

Delusional Knitter said...

Awesome socks! I love Knitting Rules! its a very good book.

Anonymous said...

The socks look great!!!!!

Have a very happy new year!

Wanderingcatstudio said...

Heinz 57 socks look like they were meant to be that way! I love it. I'm going to have to try a pair like that!

Unknown said...

I have tape measures stashes all around the house and one in each knitting bag and my everyday purse. Doesn't everyone? And they are all the retractable kind. Comes in handy when shopping for appliances.

MagicalJane said...

Those are wonderful! Happy New Year - talk soon xoxo

suse-the-slow-knitta said...

the socks look fab, and I'm not surprised that you'd underestimated the size of your sock stash.Don't we all??