Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Work in Progress Wednesday


My second version of Wine Cozy has been felted and I'm much happier with the result. Gavin agrees, this is better. This time round I knit the cozy in a single colour - sheep's grey - to make sure the entire thing felted evenly. I reduced the number of stitches in the round from 96 to 63. And I reinforced the base with a thin plastic disk sandwiched between the true bottom and a second false bottom. If I had time I could try to felt it by hand about 10% smaller but there's no time left for any more experimentation.

Originally I thought to embroider a Christmas design on the finished felted bag, or even to applique a Christmas design cut out from felt, but today I'm thinking about heading to Michael's for Rhinestone applique snowflakes. After hanging this glittery snowflake ornament from the bag's bow, I've decided that the contrast between this soft and fuzzy felted bag and the crisp and sparkly snowflake is really nice. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I think IT NEEDS MORE GLITTER!

Now I have to run - there's one more parcel to post so I hope to be first in line when the Post Office opens. Fingers crossed it makes it under the tree in time! For more frantic Christmas crafting, have a look at Tami's Amis. I can't be the only one crafting right up to the very last minute, can I?

14 comments:

pinkundine said...

It looks fab, and I totally agree that the snowflake decoration really finishes it off perfectly :) And at this time of year, there's no such thing as too much glitter!

Unknown said...

I think a snowflake glittery thingie will be awesome! Great job!

Anonymous said...

I like it!!! I like that the ornament can be used away from the wine cozy if you want to.

Very pretty!

MagicalJane said...

You're heading WHERE for glittery snowflakes? lol

Nice job! Particularly impressed with the double bottoms.

Marie/Underground Crafter said...

Love the wine cozy!

Liz said...

The wine cozy looks great! The double bottom is such a good idea! Christmas is the prefect time for glitter :)

Wanderingcatstudio said...

Looks great - and it's Christmas - you can never have too much glitter!

Valeria / Ché! Crochet said...

LOvely work!
I never did felting yet...
Merry Christmas!
Valeria

Nicky said...

Oooh that is so cool.
I've never felted anything. Not on purpose anyway.

I agree with pinkundine, no such thing as too much glitter.

Isaida said...

Love the cozy and the snowflake is the perfect adornment :)

Abbie said...

Beautiful!!!! Love the glittery snowflake.

WildflowerWool said...

I like the snowflake and no you aren't the only one still working on gifts, lol!

Memo Box said...

You're right, the snowflake goes lovely with the cozy. Love it.

Yarn Changer said...

I love the snowflake. You could add more glitter but it looks great as is - if you get crunched for time.