Friday, March 11, 2011

the first block

It's off the needles now, this first of four blocks for my blanket. Looks like each block will take about 400 yards and ends up around 18" square. With all that ribbing and cabling the blanket is very thick and warm, and it's reversible. I love it already.

Instead of binding off, I moved the stitches onto scrap yarn. That's because I'm considering grafting the squares together rather than sewing them. After a little digging in the Ravelry forums I turned up a thread describing how to kitchener stitch two ribbed pieces of fabric. It'd be very cool if the assembled blanket appeared seamless!

The edges of the block are distorted when laid flat. I'm hoping that assembly will take care of that for the most part. As well adding a seedstitch border around the assembled blanket might really finish it off nicely. But oh my, I love this pattern!

1 comment:

Wanderingcatstudio said...

That is a very neat looking block!