Sunday, July 29, 2012

Let the Games Begin!


For the summer 2012 Ravellenic Games I'm competing in the "Scarf Hockey" event. Typical Canadian, eh? Hockey. Hockey. Hockey.

Specifically I decided that it was about time I stopped procrastinating and finally knit something from these silk mawatas that I ordered from Sunnyside Ellen last August. Because I'm knitting from unspun drafted silk fiber, and because my draft roving varies from desperately thin to timidly thick, I chose a simple pattern intended for long colour repeats: Clapotis. And so far, I think it's the perfect choice.

I don't expect any medals or prizes. Right now I'm not at all confident that I'll even finish before the closing ceremonies. Besides, several contenders have already posted their finished times, having knit fun fur and ripple scarves. But it's not about winning, is it? It's about having fun, competing and doing your best. And it's motivated me to finally get a move on with these mawatas. It's kind of fun drafting the silk and then knitting it. I wonder why it took me so long to get around to it?

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Good luck for your competition :-p

I am not sure to understand. Tou knit from the unspunned yarn? Anyway, it's look nice, do not give up and if you do not finish with the Ravellenic, it does not matter, continue!

Erin Kate said...

Beautiful, oceany colors!

* said...

Love the colours, so very pretty, and your markers look like they should be part if it too.

You are right, it is the taking part not the winning, especially when you're enjoying the taking part so much too.

Have a great week!

pinkundine said...

Wow those colours are spectacular. Love the concept of knitting with unspun silk, I really must get around to trying it some time - thanks for the inspiration!

Anonymous said...

That is very interesting yarn! I love how it is working up. Silk ---- I think that must be the most gorgeous fiber ever!

Wanderingcatstudio said...

I have to get back to my mawata project too - and I agree - a scarf is the perfect thing for them.

Stefanie said...

Wow; how do you knit that up? The colors are so bright and fun.

Shearer's Girl said...

I've not heard of knitting from unspun silk like this before, it looks really effective.

Delusional Knitter said...

Very cool, you're doing great. I tried that technique before and its a little difficult and fiddly. It looks great!!