Tuesday, July 17, 2012

FO: Hilja's Mitts


Pattern: Hilja's Mittens from Folk Knitting in Estonia, by Nancy Bush

Yarn: Kroy 4 ply Sock (black)
Yarn: Sandnes Garn Lannet (white and red)
Yarn: Sandnes Garn Sisu (grey)


Modifications: none

Comments: These mitts look complicated but they're easier than you may think; you're never knitting more than two colours at a time. The cuff is very nice and the colourwork patterns are great. I'm still not sure that I'm doing the decreases correctly, although mitt two is noticeably better than mitt one, so maybe I'm getting the hang of it? My colourwork tension within small circumferences needs work, but again, mitt two is better than mitt one. Here's hoping each pair of mittens knit is better than the last! Doesn't practice make perfect?

One more comment? These mitts were knit entirely from stash yarns: the black leftover from Tardis socks completed in May, the grey leftover from Santa Fe socks completed in April, the white and red leftover from baby hats completed a couple of years ago. SCORE!

8 comments:

Wanderingcatstudio said...

They look great. i have a pair of colour-work mitts mom made me and they are nice and warm with the extra layers

Nicky said...

There's nothing else to say except -- YOU ROCK!!!!!!

You inspire me to do better with my knitting! Great job!

Ashley said...

wow this is so amazing! I need to get over my fear of colorwork already. I love the mitts

Stefanie said...

Stunning! A work of art. You'll surely get lots of stares and questions when you wear those.

RobinBrz said...

You did an amazing job! I'm totally impressed with your colorwork talents. Practice clearly does make perfect!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! They certainly look warm.

Unknown said...

Ohh, great mitts! Love the design.

Marie/Underground Crafter said...

These are really striking. It is amazing what you can do with stash yarn, because it really looks as though you ran out and bought these yarns to go together for this project.