Friday, July 20, 2012

FO Friday


My first "ta-da" is a purple Miranda hat. It's the third Miranda hat I've knit this week as part of a KAL with Project: Stash. Each hat has been knit from stash yarn and each will be donated to charity. The finished hat is really cute and it's great opportunity to work through some stashed yarns. Each of my hats has used from 40 to 45 grams of yarn, and I'm happy to report that what remains of my worsted stash now fits in a shoebox. Maybe enough for three more solid colour hats? We'll see!

Another thing I've been working on is handmade buttons. After meeting Jessie at the Knitter's Frolic at the end of April, I was inspired to try my hand at making wood buttons. I'm fortunate to live near the waterfront trail at the Rouge River, so there are lots of fallen branches along my walks for button-making. With Gavin's help I've made two sizes to try.

The smaller buttons are about 5/8" across. At that size the bark was really fragile so I sanded it off. The larger button is 1-1/8" across. I'm hoping this bark can last through some washing and wearing. Time to find out though! I've knit a swatch with leftover RHSS, sewn on a button and will include it with my regular laundry this weekend. Jessie warns that these handmade buttons are "decorative" in nature, handwash only and not meant for everyday wear. I'm going to put that to the test to see how fragile (or durable?) they really are.

Every FO Friday I link up with the gang at Tami's Amis. Take a minute, have a look and don't hesitate to comment!

18 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I love your buttons! Good luck with the washing.

Carolina22 said...

Love the hat! Very cool that you are making buttons!!

pinkundine said...

Ooooh, fabulous buttons, so pretty. I hope they stand up to washing, so much more convenient!

Unknown said...

Its so pretty. I love the color. Purple is really an amazing color. Also your buttons are fantastic

Kim Sonksen said...

Oh I think the purple Miranda hat is my fave so far but the buttons really blow me away - they are STUNNING

bookworm-Mary said...

I'm totally loving your hats!! (maybe because I make so many, and just totally appreciate them) And those buttons are so cool- especially since you are making them!

Memo Box said...

Oh I love your buttons. Do let us know how they hold up, I wouldn't mind making some myself.

WildflowerWool said...

A shoe box?!?!?! Wow.

Kim said...

That purple yarn is stunning! I hope your buttons hold up as that is such a great idea.
*smiles*

Wool Diaries said...

Your buttons are awesome and so unique. Now you have me thinking maybe on Sunday when we go for our walk I need to keep my eyes open for branches!!!

Your hats are going to be appreciated

Nicky said...

That hat is gorgeous! But I'm in lovvvvvvvvvvvve with those buttons.

Wanderingcatstudio said...

Another nice hat!
I never thought about my wood buttons needing more care - but that makes sense. That's okay - I only ever handwash my sweaters anyway.

Stefanie said...

So clever of you to create buttons that way! Wow!
I love the purpleyness of that hat. You are so fast whipping these babies out!

Charlotte Helle said...

The hat turned out so great! I love the color and I love your buttons!

Paula said...

Looking lovely! And I absolutely LOVE the buttons, especially the big one!

Liz said...

I love the hat and the buttons are gorgeous! I hope the washing goes well :)

Alittlebitsheepish said...

The hat looks great and the buttons are lovely. Hope they stand up to being washed

Marie/Underground Crafter said...

Yay! It is so fun to watch you knit from your stash and it inspires me to do the same. The purple is really lovely.