Sunday, March 28, 2010

it's a small world after all


With a four hour drive to Ottawa in the early hours of Saturday morning, and another four hours to come home to Toronto on Sunday, another baby blanket seemed like an ideal project. The pattern is based on the gull lace stitch used in EZ's February Sweater - a very simple row lace pattern. I'm using Patons Classic Wool in Russet. As the blanket progresses my reservations about the colour are dissipating; increasingly I think it will be quite flattering for a newborn or infant.

While in Ottawa my sister-in-law and I met up with Suzanne to purchase some of the magazine and knitting books that she was clearing out. Through Ravelry I discovered that she was selling an old issue of Knitter's Magazine that I'd been looking for. And after talking for a short while, we discovered that we both knit for The Warm Hands Network. In fact, last year Suzanne assembled donated squares into a blanket, including two of my squares! And, when talked turned to Amy and Anita - the forces behind the Warm Hands Network - my sister-in-law realized that she knows Amy through her Natural Foods Co-op. Despite all those hours of driving, it really is a small world.

3 comments:

Wanderingcatstudio said...

That's a lovely colour for a baby blanket. I really like knitting baby stuff in non-traditional colours

Frieda said...

Baby kntting these days comes in all colours not just pastels . I love your choice , bring partial to earth tones myself . Nice job !

suse-the-slow-knitta said...

how wonderful to meet up with the blanket maker!