Friday, December 17, 2010

a start on blanket squares


The first blanket square is on the needles, after a few false starts. It took me a couple of tries to figure out exactly how many stitches I needed to cast on for a ten inch block. The pattern is a Zig Zag Stitch from HalfKnits and the yarn is Plymouth Galway worsted. I bought this ball a couple of years ago with the intention of using it to border a blanket. And then knit the blanket without a border. It's lovely and soft, and really nice to knit. I've added a three stitch wide border in seed stitch to keep the edges of the block nice and square.

The blanket blocks are for the Warm Hands Network. Suzanne offered to assemble donated squares into blankets provided that the squares are mailed to her in December. I've promised two squares - so I'm working to complete those this week. Maybe in January I'll knit up the rest of my worsted weight wool stash into squares as a stash-busting measure.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like that pattern and it really pops in the dark green color.

Allison said...

I like that zigzag stitch. I'll have to find a way to use it.

One pair of Hands said...

I will watch your squares with interest. I knit for a similar organization down here. Friends, stuck for a gift idea for me, tend to give me odd balls of wool. A present that pleases me as much as any could.