Sunday, September 5, 2010

a start on Take Fives


Much of yesterday was spent in the car - driving out to Cobourg and Newcastle so that Gavin could surf and then sitting in the car watching while he surfed. I definitely needed a portable knitting project on hand.

Back in January I knit Komet socks from On Your Toes bamboo, but ran out of yarn before finishing the second sock. After consulting fellow Raveler's stashes I negotiated the purchase of another 100 grams. I used about a dozen grams of yarn to finish my sock and put aside the rest.

Those Komet socks turned out to be my faves - a lovely pattern and very comfy yarn - so I've looked around for a simple elegant sock for the rest of the yarn. Take Five Socks fit the bill for me. It's a very simple pattern - just four rounds stockinette with a pattern every fifth - but it's very charming. "Ohhh, that's nice," says Gavin peering over as we drove home last night "it looks like a real sock". He meant it as a compliment but it's an odd thing to say, don't you think?

I've modified the pattern to knit toe-up because I'm now completely addicted to using every last meter of yarn without fear of running short. And I've reduced the number of stitches for the foot to 56 to keep it narrow and snug-fitting. Now I'm trying to convince myself to keep the length across the bottom of the foot short enough for my SIL instead of long enough for me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you like my pattern. Your version looks great!

As for stadium weather --- it was HOTTER than blue blazes until the sun went down. There was a nice breeze every now and then --- I really appreciated it when it came along.

I think Steve and I spent about $12.00 on water. LOL

Wanderingcatstudio said...

The look good. How was the surfing? The wind here was awesome and it was so nice to have the A/C off and the windows open.