Thursday, September 30, 2010

blanket musings


Based on these first two and a half squares, it looks like each blanket square requires about 15 grams of yarn. Which means that from my original 300 grams of yarn, I should get about 20 squares. Arranged four squares across and five squares down, the resulting blanket would be 28" x 35" plus borders. That's a good size, I think.

Or maybe I should go with 16 squares in a 4x4 arrangement to yield a blanket that's 28" x 28" plus borders? That way I'd have left over to do the borders with the same yarn. This appeals to me because the yarn has so many gorgeous subtle shifts in colour that I'd hate for a border to detract from it.

Speaking of the border, I'm considering something along the lines of the lace edging on Jared Flood's Tweed Baby Blanket. I have a dark green that I could use as the second colour. Or do you think it'd be too much?

5 comments:

suse-the-slow-knitta said...

that is a fab border- go with that

Frieda said...

I think that edging would be perfect. It's simple but pretty enough and wouldn't overhadow or detract from the squares .

Anonymous said...

I don't really have an opinion about the border, but wanted to say how pretty I think that pattern is. Truly lovely.

Elizabeth said...

I think the lace edging would be lovely; very simple.

Elizabeth said...

I think that edging would be lovely; simple and elegant.