Tuesday, July 14, 2009

starting Kai-Mei


It's amazing what a difference blocking makes - the wavy pattern is really well defined and open now. After blocking the blanket finishes up at 26"x 32"... small, but not too small. The pattern was really easy, although I had to consciously fight the urge to purl the wrong-side rows. Had to do a fair bit of tinking through the first few pattern repeats until I got the hang of it.

Back in June, when I saw this stippled colourway of Koigu Painter's Palette Premium Merino at Lettuce Knit, I couldn't take my eyes off it. So yesterday, while waiting for large file downloads at work, I cast on my first Kai-Mei sock. Weeks ago I abandoned this pattern in frustration when yarn after yarn pooled. But now, with this yarn, it's knitting up beautifully. With a K3P3 leg it's bound to fit well and be comfortable. And with the travelling lace pattern that starts at the gusset, the knitting is bound to get interesting. Hurray!

1 comment:

Mrs. Homesteader said...

That Kai-Mei looks great! Can't wait to see the FO.