Sunday, August 9, 2015

Year of Projects 5 Week 6


destined to be ribbed socks
KNIT. SOCK. LOVE. : BFF • Clandestine • Cusp • German Stockings • Gothic Spire • Hedera • In and Out • Lissajous • Marilinda • Mona • Monkey • Pointelle • Rhombus • Sake • Stalagmite • Stricken • Thelonious • Twisted Flower • Wedge

COOKIE A SOCK CLUB: June #1 • June #2 • August #1 • August #2 • October #1 • October #2 • December #1 • December #2

VANILLA SOCKS FOR CHARITY: July • August • September • October • November • December • January • February • March • April • May • June

No finished socks yet, but soon. Progress on my July Vanilla Bean Striped socks is slow but steady. I'm about halfway through the second sock tube and then all's that left is the two afterthought heels. It remains to be seen how long I can avoid the finishing of those!

For my August charity socks there's a multicolour yarn in my stash that has fought every pattern I've ever attempted with them. Time to cry "uncle" and knit the yarn up as a pair of vanilla ribbed socks. A K4P2 rib I think - I'm got a hankering for some wide ribbing! The yarn cake looks busy and barf-y doesn't it? But I think it'll settle down nicely once knit. I'm looking forward to seeing how they come out.

After overdyeing the August club yarn I went ahead and cast on Gable Socks. It's a lovely pattern but it's uncomfortably similar to Alice Yu's Shur'tugal Socks. Honestly, I'm not very happy about being presented with the Gable Socks pattern as an "original" design available exclusively to paid club members! Not much I can do about it, so I'll just keep my head down and knit. Over the past week I've knit sock one entirely and knit well past the heel of sock two. Shouldn't be too much longer now.

The second pattern for the Cookie A sock club August shipment is Darjeeling. At the moment I'm considering knitting these with a couple of skeins of CoBaSi yarn that I picked up the other day. This pattern's going to be a challenging fit so an elastic yarn might help. The pattern photo clearly shows the sock pulled overly tight at the beginning of each "leaf" and puffing out at the end of each eyelet row and above the heel flap. I need to put my thinking cap on to see if there are any adjustments I can make to mitigate the fit issues.

It's another beautiful summer day in Toronto, so it's time for me to get outside and enjoy the weather. I can't believe it's August already! Where does the time go?


7 comments:

Christine said...

Overdyeing... Hmmm... I would love to see what that looks like!
Those green socks are quite smart looking... Maybe I can see them finished up on Tuesday?

Anonymous said...

Gable is very pretty, but I think you're right .......looks a lot like that other pattern. :-(

The color you worked up looks very nice though.

Ruth. said...

That overdying really turned out brilliantly, those Gable socks look fantastic. Hope that yarn knits up lovely for you, I hear you on the barf-y yarn but as I've found out they sometimes work up better than they first appear.

Stefanie said...

Sock knitting galore! I'm counting four WIP's? In assuming the over dyed yarn is the Kelly green? Striking those are. How cute those would be with some navy cigarette pants and shiny black loafers?

Unknown said...

I love how your overdyeing turned out! That green is a show stopper. I'll be curious to see what you think of the CoBaSi yarn and I think your right the elastic content probably will help out a lot for that pattern.

Lucy Bowen said...

Time is truly flying! Love the overdyed yarn and the socks look great, but sad that they are so similar.

Becki said...

That green is your overdyed yarn?!? That yellow, chartreuse-y looking yarn you showed us last week? That I kind of liked, as I recall. lol It looks amazing knitted into those socks. Really pretty!