Friday, March 23, 2012

it's not a vest


It's kind of you not to mention the fact that this is quite obviously not a photo of the vest I've been working on. Don't worry, there's no problem there; it's just going more slowly than I predicted. The right front is knit, the left front is in progress, and I suspect that the back, the neckband and the armhole bands will take the rest of the weekend to complete. Or maybe even longer than that. I'm absolutely dreading the "pick up stitches evenly" steps to create those bands - that's make or break in terms of how polished the finish vest looks, isn't it?

Rather than confront that challenge, I seem to be indulging in some typical procrastination behaviour: creating a small distraction for myself. I've started a smaller, simpler project - another set of monsters -  that I know I can complete in a couple of days without much effort. Based on my experience of last week with this pattern, I'm confident I'll be satisfied with the result so there's no anxiety there. And I've got a series of justifications ready if you want to hear them: it's stash-busting, I can ship'em with those I finished last week, it's for a good cause, I was too tired to give the vest decreases the attention they needed ...

Enough excuses, it's time to overcome all this procrastination and push ahead on the vest... as soon as I finish these little monsters. I promise.

11 comments:

pinkundine said...

No excuses necessary - it's important to work on what you want to work on ;)

I've nearly finished making a monster and have a feeling there might be a few more in my future!

Marie/Underground Crafter said...

I love the monster! I'm going to make some too - thanks for introducing me to that project.

behind the ivy said...

Hehe, I love that. Procrastinate one knit by casting on for another... that certainly sounds familiar!

Can't wait to see your monsters finished, those colours together are perfection!

Unknown said...

It's still pretty though. I am sure your vest will work out eventually.

kathy b said...

I absolutely love the striping and your color choices.!!! You can pick them up evenly I know you can...sometimes, truly, a glass of wine actually helps!

Unknown said...

All sounds perfectly logical to me!

Stefanie said...

I love those colors together!
Are you doing a jogless jog and carrying the unused color up or just picking it up when you start its color?

Wanderingcatstudio said...

I say - knit what you want when you want - no excuses needed!

Pumpkin said...

Procrastination is good for you sometimes. I don't blame you for wanting to work on such a cute project!

Jocelyn said...

Take your time and enjoy the knitting part of the project. I always end up picking up the bands more than once.

Andria said...

I think it is always nice to take a break from a project, and I also hate picking up stitches too. I've gotten better at it, but if you aren't satisfied the first time pull them out and try again. You do want them to look good when you are done. Goodness knows I've picked up and then pulled out a huge number of times. I like your monster so far, stripes make me happy!