Monday, March 26, 2012
FO: Daphne and Delilah II
Here's a second set of monsters for Isaida's Monster Mission of Love. My goal was to get both sets finished up this weekend and in the mail - mission accomplished! Hopefully these little darlings find new homes quickly and get down to the business of providing comfort and companionship to kids in difficult situations.
The main colour of my earlier set was Red Heart Super Saver, but this time I've used Red Heart Soft Touch with Bernat Satin. As a resulting the finished monsters are about 7% smaller. Maybe I should have expected that because the yarn does feel a bit finer, but I used the same needles and expected the gauge would be closer than that. Not that it matters in this case - a monster is a monster, big or bigger. One thing though, knit in softer yarn, the pocket on Daphne sags a bit. The sturdier RHSS actually makes a better pocket.
They're quite addictive, these little softies. With the completion of this second set I've knit through a fair chunk of the worsted acrylic yarn in my stash. What remains fits in a shoebox. But I bet I could squeak out a few more monsters. Now I just need to find a reason to knit Penelope the Empathetic Monster. I've already pm'ed Isaida to see if she can use a few more monsters. Any other suggestions for toy donations are welcome.
Vest update: the vest fronts are knit to the shoulders and I made a good start on the back. Well I thought it was a good start until I noticed that I had dropped a stitch at which point the vest was put aside in disgust. Tonight I'll settle myself on the sofa with the vest on my lap, take a few deep breaths and go searching for that stitch with a crochet hook and a lot of patience.