Sunday, July 20, 2014

Year of Project 4: Rumpled 02



SOCKTOPUS :  Farmer McGregor • Rumpled! • Om Shanti

KNIT. SOCK. LOVE. : BFF • Clandestine • Cusp • German Stockings • Gothic Spire • Hedera • In and Out • Lissajous • Marilinda • Mona • Monkey • Pointelle • Rhombus • Sake • Stalagmite • Stricken • Thelonious • Twisted Flower • Wedge

The subtitle of the book Socktopus is "17 Pairs of Socks to Knit and Show Off" and this Rumpled! pattern lives up to the billing. The finished sock is really striking. The combination of twisted rib and eyelets makes for a very textured pattern with lots of drama - very nice.

And my goodness, was that pattern ever easy! Honestly, other than fighting with a handful of K3tog stitches every fourth round, there was really nothing to it. There was almost no need to refer to the pattern after the first repeat.

All that twisted rib paired with all those eyelets also creates a very stretchy fabric, and that's a must for a well-fitted sock. I'll admit, I was skeptical about 72 sts on 2.25mm needles. Seemed to me there was a strong possibility that I'd end up with a baggy pair of socks, but my fears proved unfounded. I suppose I could have decrease to 68 sts around the foot to make them a bit more snug, but I'm happy with them just the way they are.

I knit the pattern as written with two minor modifications: I made the heel flap 4 rows longer and I grafted the toes at 22 sts. That's one thing in favour of this heel construction - it's easy to adjust for pointy heels, high insteps and thick ankles!

The Sokkusu yarn also behaved itself. There's enough variegation to keep it interesting but not much pooling (other than that dark blob at the bottom of one heel that irks me just a tiny bit). The colour is lovely and it's not at all splitty which makes it nice to work with. Compared to other sock yarns it's on the light fingering side of the spectrum and not very soft; reminiscent of Koigu PPPM I think. Nothing to complain about, but it won't be added to my list of favourite sock yarns.

As I've completed this sock well ahead of the start date for the next pattern in the Socktopus KAL, I've moved on to a pattern from Knit. Sock. Love. But more on that in next week's update!

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh wow... they look good, and it sounds like you really enjoyed the knit as well.... win / win in my book!

Maria said...

WOW! That's just gorgeous!

Christine said...

Figures you would finish those! I am drooling... Must make Rumpled! Socks... Next to be cast on most definitely
They are fantastic. Good job.

Leftycrafter said...

Love the color and the pattern. Your socks always make me smile and admire your skill.

Barbara at Knitting | Work in Progress said...

Seeing your lovely socks each week is (almost) enough to make me want to knit a pair or 30 ...

Lucy Bowen said...

Mmm they are lovely - gorgeous colour. I have finally knitted some socks, but they were baby socks!! Reminded me how much I like doing it though.

Caffeine Girl said...

Those are so gorgeous and dramatic. I can hardly believe they are an easy knit!

Sam I Am...... said...

I may need to add that to my sock list as it sounds like I may be able to handle that one. It is a really pretty sock and I love the color. So glad the fit is good on you and you are enjoying them.

Anonymous said...

They are so gorgeous and don't you just love any pattern that you can remember that quick. Thank you for the comment I now want a jam and cream scone afternoon tea haha ;)

Anonymous said...

That is a very impressive pattern and I LOVE that yarn color.

I never thought I liked red, but this one ....I LOVE!

Unknown said...

They look lovely!! Show them off for sure!

cleancup said...

I wonder if the yarn will soften in the washing? I've found that some of the sturdier yarns do (Lorna's Laces come to mind), and those hardly ever wear through.

Gorgeous new socks!

Wanderingcatstudio said...

The socks turned out great - can't wait to see what's next!

Gwenyth Love said...

Wowsers! That is a stunning pair of socks!

Stefanie said...

That color way is like a bunch of jello flavors mixed up. The texture is amazing, almost like coral reef.

Unknown said...

Gorgeous socks!