Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Work-in-Progress Wednesday


Lately my knitting has been all about socks, shawls and scarves, and as a result the needles have been in the 2.0mm - 2.5mm range. I'm not complaining, but as a consequence the stash-busting is proceeding very slowly.

That's why after weighing up my Berroco Vintage DK stash, I decided to give into temptation and start making hexagons with the African Flowers pattern. The truth is that pattern has been calling me since I first saw it on a blog more than a year ago. I'm guessing I've got enough yarn to make 40 or so hexagons, and if I add another colour for borders and joining I should be able to manage a reasonably sized blanket for the Warm Hands Network. Another great thing is that there's a tutorial about joining the hexagons here - that's going to be a big help because I wasn't really sure about where to begin with that.

After knitting on tiny needles over the last few weeks, the speed and gratification of popping out a hexagon every 15 minutes is a nice change of pace. Fast forward through a couple of days of crochet and I find myself with 22 hexagons and counting. Now that's some fast progress on the stash-busting front! But what yarn for the border? Any ideas? Light or dark? Cream or Navy or something else entirely?

It's Wednesday so I'm linking up with the gang at Tami's Amis. If you have a few minutes you should check out the links posted there. Lots of great ideas there!

22 comments:

L.E. said...

Those hexagons are indeed very pretty! You'll have a fabulous blanket in no time!!

laydilyke said...

African flowers are so addictive to make. You won't want to stop and they are great stash busters.

Unknown said...

Your hexagons are in the most amazing combinations! I love them!
x

Anonymous said...

The flower hexes are pretty. I don't know about cream for the border though. I think I'd go dark, but maybe not all the way to black.

Sandra said...

I Love the colors!
I love this little projects that you can do one in a little space of time. I Am making hexipuffs and loving them!
I Think a light color would be good, but you need test first!
Good luck!

Barbara said...

Nice change of pace. Sometimes, it's good to have a project that grows quickly, isn't it?

(Note to self: Must learn to crochet!)

bookworm-Mary said...

15 minutes for one?! I'm really going to need to jump on that wagon-- I sure could use a big stash-buster.

Elisabeth Andree said...

Love to see your crochet work. The colours you use are breathtakingly beautiful together. Make me think of trees, leaves, et cetera.

Jazz said...

Amazing hexagons. Lovely combination of colors.

Here's my WIP: http://mibruno.com/en-proceso-83/

pisky cove blog said...

Love the colours and the hexagons ..cant wait to see it.

Unknown said...

Love the Hexes. How about orange/rust. Cream would be too predictable.

Karen said...

Your hexagons are gorgeous! I love the colors.

autumngeisha said...

The hexagons look so lovely! Wonderful color combinations. It must feel great to have a project working up that speedily. Makes me want to whip out my crochet hook.

Stefanie said...

The flowers are like a stroll in the jungle. Bless your generous heart.

Spinster Beth said...

I love the colors ... very earthy!

Unknown said...

I'm so jealous of speedy crocheters with their nearly-instant-afghans! What fun hexagons.

Alittlebitsheepish said...

This pattern is beautiful, you have chosen great colours it will look fantastic

Wanderingcatstudio said...

Those are some very cool squares!

Caffeine Girl said...

Those are really pretty. I think I'd go dark for a border, but mostly so it wouldn't look dirty too often!

WildflowerWool said...

Anything with flowers makes me smile :)

Nancy McCarroll said...

Thanks for the tutorial about joining hexagons...good stuff. Visiting from Tami.

Gracey is not my name.... said...

Very pretty...I am alternating between socks and a crochet blanket at the moment....