Friday, April 26, 2013

Finished Object Friday


Pattern:  Ensnared

Yarn: Alley Cat BFL by Wandering Cat Yarns in a colourway called "Anne Boleyn"

Needles: size 1 (2.25mm) and size 2 (2.5 mm)

Modifications: none

Comments: It was the unusual gusset construction that first drew me to this sock pattern. My fears that the pattern would be too complicated were entirely unfounded. If anything the pattern is over-explained. Rather than decreasing from the ankle down the side of the foot, in this pattern the decreases are arranged symmetrically on either side of the top of the instep ... and it seems to work just fine.

I was hopeful that knitting all that rib in needles that are larger than my usual sock needles would result in a well-fitted sock. But the finished socks are very small. They fit my friend's size 5 feet, but not my size 11s. Now that I've knit the pattern through once in its entirety, I think the answer would be to add sixteen stitches to the primary stitch count and shift down a needle size. Don't you find ribbing more attractive when it's not stretched too far open?

One more little gripe? Maybe it's the ribbing or maybe the unusual gusset construction, but there's a lumpy part at the front of the ankle just before the decreases start. Any ideas what to do about that?

They're still gorgeous socks though, aren't they?And knitting BFL sock yarn again reminds me of why I love it. This Alley Cat BFL is such a pleasure to knit and it wears beautifully. Pattern designer Hunter Hammersen says the pattern was inspired by the clothing of the Tudor women, so dyers Rhonda and Valerie at Wandering Cat Yarns custom dyed this "Anne Boleyn" colourway especially for the pattern. How fabulous is that!?!

It's another Finished Object Friday over at Tami's Amis. If you've got some time, go have a look. So much to see!

15 comments:

Sandra said...

I do not understand so much of socks, I just knitted 1 in all my life!
But this pattern is very cute, the color is great!
Could I ask you a favor? Could you contact me at tricotrico @ tricotrico.com???
I would love to talk to you!
Thank you!

Handmade by Stefanie said...

Pretty socks! I haven't come across that pattern yet, so I'll have to check it out! If it helps at all, the lumpy part in front of the ankle isn't very noticeable, at least from the photo!

Wanderingcatstudio said...

They turned out great!
And I agree with you on ribbing - stretched, but not to stretched!

Anonymous said...

Great socks!

Anonymous said...

I really like the patterned section between the ribbings. So pretty.

Congrats on the great finish.

Unknown said...

I prefer ribbing that is stretched to the max. It just makes the item look too small. I don't mind the purs showing, even though I hate the purls, but not when it looks stretched. Love the band around the leg.

Nat at Made in Home said...

Love the socks!

Alittlebitsheepish said...

Lovely socks, a great combination of yarn and pattern

Unknown said...

the color is great..and I agree that I don't like stretched ribbing in a sock...if anything, I like them a little slouchy...but that can also hide a great pattern!

Stefanie said...

How fun to be part of a colaboration. These socks look real neat. I guess the ribbing really suck things in which makes it smaller?

Caffeine Girl said...

What an unusual pattern. Cat Bordhi has designed some far-out socks, but this is totally different approach. As for the lump -- no idea!

Unknown said...

I'm not sure about the bunching... maybe you can begin decreasing sooner? I'm unfamiliar with the pattern, so that might not be possible. I've been meaning to try BFL for socks, my Merino ones keep wearing out!

Marie/Underground Crafter said...

I love the colors. I wish I had some helpful advice about the ankles, but I leave that to the sock people.

Gracey is not my name.... said...

They turned out great! Too bad they are too small....I'm still working on getting a sock to fit...I ADORE that color!

kathy b said...

YEs they are gorgeous. THey remind me of a gansey sweater!