Last night I ran out of purple yarn about half way around the scallop row. Given that it was to be the final round I didn't want to re-crochet it tighter, so I ripped it out and called it done. This morning I wove in the last few ends. So that's it ... voilà, my finished Wool-Eater blanket! I considered adding pompoms around the edge but my informal poll on Wednesday's blog post showed pretty uniform disagreement with that suggestion.
It's aptly named, this Wool-Eater pattern. The last few bands of colours ate through more than a ball of yarn each, and the entire 48"x48" blanket weighs three pounds! It's been a great stash-busting project. I've used up almost all of the red, orange, yellow and green that were left over after I crocheted some Angry Bird softies this time last year. The dark green, dark blue and maroon were purchased for this blanket, but there's very little of them left; maybe enough to knit a hat or two.
The pattern designer, Sarah London, has very clear instructions on her website - clear enough and well enough illustrated for even an inexperienced crocheter like me. I chose to make a giant square, but there is an oblong option as well. In the Ravelry Group and the Flickr Group I've also seen crafters choose to make up their blankets by assembling smaller wool-eater blocks. It's interesting to see all the variations through other people's project based on the same pattern!
Please take a minute or two to check out some of the links at Tami's Amis. Lots of fabulous finishes to ooh and aah over!