KNIT. SOCK. LOVE. : BFF • Clandestine • Cusp • German Stockings • Gothic Spire • Hedera • In and Out • Lissajous • Marilinda • Mona • Monkey • Pointelle • Rhombus • Sake • Stalagmite • Stricken • Thelonious • Twisted Flower • Wedge
COOKIE A SOCK CLUB: June #1 • June #2 • August #1 • August #2 • October #1 • October #2 • December #1 • December #2
VANILLA SOCKS FOR CHARITY: July • August • September • October • November • December • January • February • March • April • May • June
Somehow weeks 22-26 got lost in the shuffle. You know, pre-holiday rush, then holiday craziness, then a vacation and so on. Knitting happened. Blogging didn't. So let's get caught up!
I worked a bit more on Clandestine sock two, but that got put aside for a more pattern suitable for a driving vacation. Just before Christmas I cast on for Monkey socks using The Fiber Seed Sprout yarn that I bought in Cocoa in November. It's a short striping yarn that I thought would work nicely with the Monkey pattern and I couldn't be more pleased with how it has knit up. It's put up in 480 yards skeins - so much yardage that I was able to lengthen the cuff and the leg without any concerns about running short of yarn!
I'm knitting the large size, but narrowing at the beginning of the heel flap and again at the gussets to narrow the foot. Sock one seems to fit pretty well! As well, I'm working the YOs through the back loops to close up the holes. I really like how that's working out too.
In mid-December I received the final shipment of the 2015 Cookie A Sock Club - another disappointment as far as I'm concerned. I can't even convince myself to cast on either of the December Club patterns - Horatio Herbert and Wavy Entrelac - as I can't see any way to make either of those patterns fit in a way I'd be happy with, nor do I think either is attractive enough to make them worth the effort. As for the yarn, the base is nice and the colours are nice but ....
Lorna’s Laces Shepherd Sock (80% superwash merino, 20% nylon; 430 yards; 100g; shown in Winter Waves) Note this yarn is a special set created especially for the sock club. It is split into thirds, with each partial skein dyed a different colour.
Yeah, the skein has been split into three mini skeins which were dyed totally different colours. It's not easy to find a pattern that actually calls for 35 grams of each of three colours. And, perhaps not surprisingly, there's not even a whiff of interest in the destash thread. In the end I've decided to try knitting the partial skeins up as Dither socks. I'm hoping that if I compress the colour work chart I can manage them without running short of colour B. Fingers crossed.
As for the Vanilla Socks for Charity section of my list, for November I knit preemie sweaters instead of socks, but as far as the list goes I think that counts. In December I knit a pair of socks for this challenge from the Canadian War Museum. I used a vintage pattern for the American Red Cross for Men's Socks for Servicemen, although I had to shorten the leg a couple of inches to complete the pair from a single skein of sock yarn. Nice socks though! The socks are donated to charity at the end of the challenge, so that's good enough for me.
Remind me next week to tell you about the awesome yarn I found in my mailbox from lovely Frieda at Restless Needles, as well as the vacation yarn I picked up while visiting Savannah! Happy New Year everyone!