Sunday, April 13, 2014

Year of Projects ... but not really














I won't even post the pattern list for my Year of Projects because there's been no change in over two weeks. I'm still working away at my Fronkenshteek socks, and for a while longer all my needles and all my energy will be devoted to them. The main sock segments were knit by end of day Friday.

Since then, the steeks have been reinforced with machine stitched zigzags and cut. The pattern was written for homespun wool which would felt at the steeked joins, so no reinforcement would be necessary, however, because I'm working in Superwash wool, reinforcement seemed well advised. After watching a couple of YouTube videos I plunged ahead. So far, so good.

This morning I made a start on assembly. The Upper Innertubez that form the legs of the socks have been mattress-stitched into leg-sized tubes and grafted onto the Cuffs. The Lower Innertubez that form the feet of the socks have been semi-grafted onto the Toes. Yes I did say semi-grafted - the live stitches of the foot were kitchenered and the steeked edges of the toe were mattress-stitched to join them. The fact that the joining wasn't 1:1 so I had to mattress-stitch two loops every third join made it a bit trickier, but it was easier than I feared.

The next thing to assemble is the Ace Bandage section that wraps around the ankle and instep and is grafted to the leg at the top and the foot at the bottom. I'm not sure whether I'll get to that today. It's the sort of thing that needs patience, good light and a clear head. I've got chores to do and the afternoon light in our living and dining room is not good, so I might leave this to another day.

"Won't those seams be uncomfortable?", Gavin asked. "Aren't there easier ways to make socks?" Good questions, both of them. I'm guessing they'll be more comfortable after a couple of washes. As for easier ways to make socks, definitely! These socks are more of tutorial and an adventure than a sensible way to make socks. I'm getting to be a dab hand at provisional cast ons, steeking, grafting, mattress-stitching and all sorts of other finishing details.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Were they "fun" to do? It looks like an awful amount of work.

I think I lean more towards Gavin's way of thinking on this one.

Lucy Bowen said...

Your finishing is fabulous, it all looks so neat. I'm sure if I attempted them, they would be an unravelling mess by now!! Well done so far and I look forward to seeing the finished article.

Gracey is not my name.... said...

Its interesting to see how they are coming together, but wow what a lot of work...

Wanderingcatstudio said...

You are one brave woman to attempt those socks!

Caffeine Girl said...

Those have to be the most challenging socks I have ever seen! I don't think my brain could handle a pattern this complicated. Can't wait to see what they look like in the end.

Barbara at Knitting | Work in Progress said...

So far, so good. Franken-tastic!

Anonymous said...

well wow what an adventure those socks are! I hope your enjoying them.

Sam I Am...... said...

You are amazing to even attempt something like that but I can see how you rise to the challenge extremely well!
The one thing that pattern would be good for is to learn all those techniques without messing up a larger project should the "steeking" etc. not turn out. You are so far beyond in talent. What an accomplishment!
P.S. YOP list? What that? LOL!

Frieda said...

Those socks sure look like a challenge , kudos to you for even attempting them .Can't wait to see the final socks and hear how you like them .

WildflowerWool said...

WOW!

Stefanie said...

My gosh. You go. I would run for hills.

Catherine said...

As I read your account of steeking, grafting, mattress stitching I asked the same questions, isn't it easier to knit the conventional way... But I see now! It's a great tutorial in all those techniques and then you have something useful to wear. Great project, I'm off to check it out!