Sunday, January 12, 2014

Year of Projects 3: Fiori di Zucca 02


SOCKTOPUS: Totally Vanilla • Kandahar • V Junkie • Kwalia • Farmer McGregor • Shur'tugal • 2luvcrew • Vorticity • Rumpled! • Crowley • Om Shanti • Mince Pie Mayhem • Hundred Acre Wood • De Stijl • Fiori di Zucca • Caretta Caretta • Spring Shoots

I've made a good start on my first Fiori di Zucca sock. I've knit the entire leg and am getting ready to start the heel expansion chart. The chart spans a double-page spread in the book - which I find intimidating - but if the leg is anything to go by, the charts look harder than they are. The pattern is actually quite intuitive; I was able to knit the last repeat of the leg without even consulting the chart.

The cast on is a double strand long tail cast on. I've seen this cast on before in Nancy Bush sock patterns but I wasn't too impressed with it, until now. For a lacy scalloped edge like this the double strand gives a thick curling edge that makes for a nice finish on the top edge.

Oh, and this yarn! I couldn't be more pleased with my yarn choice for this pattern. It's Super Cash Sock from Studio June Yarn in a colourway called "Butterscotch". There's some subtle tonal variegation but not enough to obscure the pattern. And the stitch definition is great - something you don't always find hand in hand with the softness of cashmere.

I'm still knitting scrappy socks at the same time, so progress on these lacy socks isn't as quick as it might be. The KAL deadline for these socks is the end of February so there's no hurry. Besides, even though we're back to milder temperatures ... +3° today ... it's still not lacy sock weather. Meanwhile, I do want to complete as many pairs of the scrappy socks as I can manage ahead of the January 30th shipping deadline for the Warm Hands Network. Either way next week's post, I hope to have one finished sock to show you. I'm not much for taking notes when I knit, so I can't afford much time away from sock one, if I want sock two to match!

8 comments:

cleancup said...

these are so pretty! I've been intimidated by that chart myself-- it's nice to hear it's not as bad as it looks!

Stefanie said...

It is always enjoyable top read about your shock projects. I admire greatly how you challenge yourself. The lace is terrific.

Gracey is not my name.... said...

It looks great so far, yeah the charts do seem daunting. I keep looking at the book and putting it back. But as I said before I need to finish some of my others pairs first.

Alittlebitsheepish said...

Looks lovely, the chart does sound like a major challenge though.

Anonymous said...

That sock is GORGEOUS! Can't wait to see the whole thing.

Anonymous said...

These are so pretty and I love the yarn butterscotch is just a perfect name for it. Does the scallop leg with no ribbing keep the sock up if you know what I mean ?

Marie/Underground Crafter said...

I agree, the yarn is so beautifully colored. I can see how now wouldn't be a very inspiring time of year to be knitting lace socks :).

Lucy Bowen said...

Lovely! Your yarn looks gorgeous and does indeed look like butterscotch!