Sunday, January 5, 2014

Year of Projects 3: Fiori di Zucca 01


SOCKTOPUS: Totally Vanilla • Kandahar • V Junkie • Kwalia • Farmer McGregor • Shur'tugal • 2luvcrew • Vorticity • Rumpled! • Crowley • Om Shanti • Mince Pie Mayhem • Hundred Acre Wood • De Stijl • Fiori di Zucca • Caretta Caretta • Spring Shoots

January 1st was the start date for the KAL for Fiori di Zucca. I chose my yarn - Super Cash Sock in a colourway called "Butterscotch" - and I've rewound the skein, but that's as far as I've got. I'm still fighting a cold, although I think I'm finally getting the upper hand, so there hasn't been a lot of complicated knitting going on. 

Mostly, I've been making scrappy socks. The other day a fellow Raveler shared her notes for making childrens socks with two strands of fingering weight yarn held together. Socks like this are too thick to wear in shoes, but are ideal for walking on cold floors in stocking feet, or for wearing inside big winter boots, or even for filling up skates borrowed from an older sibling. The Warm Hands Network ships hand knit goods including socks to northern reserves; they specifically request thick, machine washable wool socks. And this pattern is ideal.

For my first pair I've combined Kroy Jacquard-patterning yarn in a discontinued tangerine colourway with Loopy Ewe Solid Series fingering in solid Sunshine Yellow. The socks are very bright and cheery; not too clown-barfy! I tried to match the stripes but based on the toe, it looks like I missed by a couple of yards. Oh well, close enough I'd say.

As soon as I publish this post I'm going to cast on another pair. After inventorying my yarn stash last week, I'm inspired to do more to use up sock yarn leftovers. For these socks I need about 40 grams of each colour ...  I just bet I've got the leftovers to do a couple more pairs in different colour combinations. There's a shipment headed out from Ottawa to communities in Nunavut on January 30th. Let's see how many pairs I can get done for then!

15 comments:

cleancup said...

very cheery! and I hope you feel better :)

Lucy Bowen said...

Close enough indeed - I think they look lovely. You have done those so quickly - you will get loads done!!

Wanderingcatstudio said...

Love that butterscotch! And the kids socks are super cute!

Anonymous said...

Not clown-barfy at all! Very cute.

Hope you are feeling better soon. Steve is down with a cold too. We have taken to calling him Mr. Hacks-alot!

Stefanie said...

I really admire how you bust the stash. To make myself feel less guilty, I give my leftovers to the childcare program. Your scrappy socks are lovely.

Kim said...

Illness has abounded at our house--hope you kick this bug to the curb! I love your butterscotch!
xoxoxo

Anonymous said...

I hope your over your cold real soon, nothing like feeling under the weather. Love the socks bright and cheery and not a clown barf in sight.

Ylva said...

Those are bright socks! A great way to use up scarp yarn, I need to find something similar where I live :)

Caffeine Girl said...

Those are adorable. You are such a generous knitter!

Evelyn said...

Those socks would make my feet so happy!

Sam I Am...... said...

I love those socks. They would make anyone's feet happy! I heard the other day a blogger state that for 2014 she was going to round robin her crafts/needlework to be one for gift stash, next for charity and then for herself. I thought that was a great idea. I was looking on Ravelry for a charity that fit my skills. Looks like you've found yours! How kind and generous of you. I do hope you are on the mend. Happy New Year.

Marie/Underground Crafter said...

The socks do look fun and happy. I hope you're feeling better!

Unknown said...

Hope you'll fully recover soon! I love the sock-color-combo, it makes me happy! You're such a sweetheart making them for a good cause!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the Warmhands socks. They are in great demands as wool socks for children are not available in the stores in the Great White North. Will be there on packing night to see and handle them.Jeannine

kathy b said...

Those socks are wonderful. Must enough colors. Perfect w jeans