Sunday, September 8, 2013

Year of Projects 3: Crowley 01


SOCKTOPUS: Totally Vanilla • Kandahar • V Junkie • Kwalia • Farmer McGregor • Shur'tugal • 2luvcrew • Vorticity • Rumpled! • Crowley • Om Shanti • Mince Pie Mayhem • Hundred Acre Wood • De Stijl • Fiori di Zucca • Caretta Caretta • Spring Shoots

When I chose this thickish, rustic one ply yarn from Cottage Craft in New Brunswick for these Crowley socks, I wasn't entirely sure. After all, they won't be machine washable, and besides one ply isn't very durable for socks. Unless I'm very careful they'll felt and/or develop holes. But they're exactly what I imagined when I bought this yarn  - I love them and I will be very careful with them! Hand wash all the way!

Earlier this week when I was working the cables in the leg of the first sock, I planned to write about how much I despise cables in socks ... fiddly, needle-breaking, yarn-eating, lumpy things ... but now that I'm onto the ribbed foot I've gotten over it. Mostly.

It is quite a striking sock I think; the pattern is strong enough to hold up even when worked in thick, rustic yarn. Have I said "thick" enough times in this post? Definitely boot socks. Considering the disappointingly NOT-waterproofness of my winter boots, a thick pair of wool socks might be just the thing.

14 comments:

Stefanie said...

Definitely striking cables! The color is terrific.

Christine said...

I LOVE that pattern! Those socks are fantastic! Please please PLEASE post a pic when they are finished!

Carolina22 said...

I love the color and pattern of your socks! I agree that they are very striking and I hope they work out as boot socks.

The Bali bag was verrrry fiddly! The directions for the lining were horrible too! They also warned of the bag getting wider as you added the strips on but mine got narrower and that probably added to my lining issues. I think/hope I'll enjoy using it though :)

Gracey is not my name.... said...

They look awesome in that yarn!

Renee Anne said...

Cables are fiddly and obnoxious but they make such lovely things :)

cleancup said...

I love these socks!

Anonymous said...

They sure are pretty!

Anonymous said...

That's one pair of pretty amazing socks, love the pattern, although I doubt I'd have the patience for cabled sock knitting.......thanks for the warm welcome to YOP.

Sam I Am...... said...

Love the socks...color and pattern. I'm just doing my first cables and love them but socks must be a whole different story! Thanks for the warning! I can't wait to get my new DPN's so I can cast on some socks! You inspire me!

Anonymous said...

Oh I love those socks they look great, I can see how the cables are fiddly though but with the ribbing you'll have forgotten that mostly for the second sock lol

Emma (GirlAnachronismE) said...

They look fantastic, you are right, that yarn is perfect for the pattern, very rustic looking, which seems to be just what it needs. And I love the pattern itself

Lucy Bowen said...

Your socks always look lovely - the cables look fiddly but worth it. Perfect for boots!!

Ylva said...

Wow. Those aren't socks, they are art! :)

CrochetbyErin said...

love those socks!