Friday, September 6, 2013

Finished Object Friday: Welted Fingerless Gloves


Pattern: Welted Fingerless Gloves by Churchmouse Yarns & Teas

Yarn: Diamond Luxury Collection Baby Silk

Hook Size: US 4 (3.5 mm) and US 6 (4 mm)

Modifications: To avoid curling at the finger opening I worked the second-to-last round through the back loops, then purled the final round before binding off knitwise.

Comments: Many years ago my Mom bought a single skein of two different colours of this yarn - just because it was so soft and luxurious - but since I inherited them I've been at a loss as to what to knit from them.  It's a silk and alpaca blend put up in 50 gram skeins; 145 yards isn't enough yardage for many projects. This pattern seemed the perfect answer. I can make a pair in each colour and possibly a third pair combining the leftovers of both.

The pattern is written in a small size, however that size is flexible enough to fit most hands. Even my gigantic hands fit, although the gloves are quite snug and I'd be tempted to add a few more stitches if they were for me. The pattern also suggests sewing a row of buttons at the outside top of the wrist on the welts to make a pretty little cuff. I don't have any suitable buttons, so I've left them off but I am now on the lookout for ten little pearl buttons to do the job.

It's Finished Object Friday over at Tami's Amis ... why not visit some of the links and enjoy the parade of awesome things that people all over the world have made this week?!

And by the way, I did launder that dark blue baby blanket I showed you a couple of weeks ago. It was knit from Berroco Vintage. After enclosing it in a lingerie bag I machine washed it in warm water and then tumbled dried it on low heat. Although I totally meant to take it out of the dryer while still damp, I forgot and it stayed in for the entire cycle. The blanket emerged looking perfect - no pilling, no felting, no shrinking. If anything it looked better than when it went in as the "blocking" seemed to have evened out the edges a bit. Phew! I'd happily buy that yarn again for baby items!

17 comments:

Stefanie said...

What a perfect pair, pattern and yarn. Clever on how you fixed the rolling issue. Hooray on the blanket getting to the final stage and surviving the dryer.

Anonymous said...

Those mitts look like they feel absolutely YUMMY!!! Pearl buttons would be the perfect icing on the cake. Hope you can find just the right thing!

Glad your blankie turned out okay. I'm worried about washing Steve's big blankie when it's done. What if it falls APART????!!!! But, it will have to be done! LOL

Alicia said...

You've reminded me that I'm going to need a new pair of fingerless mitts soon... lovely!

wynette vass said...

Love the fingerless gloves! So glad your blanket wasn't messed up. :)

Unknown said...

Good news about the Vintage. I have some earmarked for a baby sweater so I'm glad to hear that it survived the washer and dryer so nicely.

Wanderingcatstudio said...

Those are cute - and a great pattern for those hard to use skeins. I have a skein of butter yellow alpaca that would be perfect for this!

MagicalJane said...

Those are lovely. In particular I like your "bird in the hand" shot.

Unknown said...

Very pretty. I like the cuffs you've done. You'll have lovely warm hands in those :)

Sam I Am...... said...

How clever you are...bird in the hand! LOL! I love those and pearl buttons would go perfectly with them. I thank you for the yarn endorsement as I don't know much about the various brands. How wonderful to use your Mother's yarn.

Knitting | Work in Progress said...

Charming and dangerous, because now you've got me thinking about knitting more mitts ...

Christina - a Babys Smile Knits said...

Berroco Vintage is one of my favorite yarns for that exact reason. It is usually the #1 yarn I reach for when knitting for someone else.

Lovely mitts!

Andria said...

Those little mitts are adorable! I can imagine tiny buttons would be lovely. Good news about the Berrocco too!

Jen said...

Ooh, I really need to try fingerless gloves. Very pretty!

Unknown said...

Such sweet mitts. And such cozy yarn, perfect combo.

unionjgirl said...

Oh, silk and alpaca, I'll bet they feel amazing on your hands!

Babajeza said...

There will be a time to wear those mittens soon. :-) Lovely.

Carmen N said...

Beautiful mitts! They look wonderfully soft