Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Work-in-Progress Wednesday


The Brain Hat pattern by Alana Noritake makes me giggle every time I look at. Seriously, I think every one of my nieces and nephews needs one of these. And now that I've started, some coworkers have expressed interest as well.

The pattern is written for fingering weight yarn but in the interest of using stash yarns I'm producing my first version from an Aran yarn. Of course that means a bunch of modifications.

The hat is a pretty standard plain beanie and then the brain tissue is created by nearly endless amounts of iCord sewn in folding and looping patterns. So far I've knit 10 feet of iCord. Will it be enough for the left hemisphere? Probably not. Once I get it all pinned into place I'll know how much more to knit, so that I can bind off and start on the iCord for the right hemisphere.

I'm not 100 percent sure that heavier weight yarn will turn out to be practical. It might just be the heaviest and thickest hat ever when I'm done.  Time will tell! It'd sure be nice if it works; I've got lots more of this yarn in grey and a pinky-grey to knit up into brain tissue. If it comes down to it, I also have some sport weight acrylic in my stash that may work. Maybe that's something to try next?

It's Work-in-Progress Wednesday, and I'll be linking up with the gang at Tami's Amis (no link posted yet). Why not take some time, click through the links and prepare to be amazed?!


14 comments:

Frieda said...

Oh man , do you have patience , 10 feet of icord and another 10 feet to go ! There is no way on God's green earth I could ever knit that much icord ....

Wanderingcatstudio said...

My brother wanted me to make him one of those - but there was no way i was sewing all that i-cord! Kudos to you!

Anonymous said...

That hat is just so awesome !! Love it !

Alittlebitsheepish said...

This is brilliant, although a tiny bit gross :D You might need one of these if you are making lots of them- http://www.amazon.com/Caron-20293-Embellish-Knit-Machine-Kit/dp/B003W0AUQ4

kathy b said...

It is great in the heavier weight yarn! No wonder everyone wants one. YOu go girl

Anonymous said...

Those pins might make the hat a tad uncomfortable don't ya think????? LOL

Interesting concept! Have fun with that I-cord. ;-)

Stefanie said...

This brain beanie is neat. I thought your pin heads were beads. You really pinned down the i-cord well.

Andria said...

My sister has begged for this hat, I just do not have the patience. You are awesome!

MagicalJane said...

ahhh, so that's how it's done! I've seen these before and thought these were fabulous but I assumed they were knitted in a complex cabling fashion. Going to be superb!

Caffeine Girl said...

That is hilarious! And a LOT of icord!

Unknown said...

Too cute! But man, all that icord?

Marie/Underground Crafter said...

I wonder how many feet/yards of I-Cord you'll need for the total brain? Perhaps it will be extra warm for super cold weather...

Elisabeth Andrée said...

My respons is quite late, but I think your hat looks fab:) ! Very very nice!

katie metzroth said...

You're a better woman than I....all that sewing! but it looks really cool! like your color choice.