Sunday, June 16, 2013

FO: Jerry the Musical Monkey

Pattern: Jerry the Musical Monkey by Rebecca Danger

Yarn: Loopy Ewe Solid Series in Sunshine Yellow and SRK On Your Toes in Natural

Needle Size: US 1 (2.25 mm)

Modifications: Other than using sock yarn I knit this exactly as written. Seated he measures 5-1/2" from his butt to the top of his head.

Comments: I was worried that my safety eyes might be ridiculously huge on a monkey worked in fingering weight, but the wide-eyed effect is okay with me. Phew.

Finishing is always the make-or-break thing isn't it? Rather than using running stitch to attach the ears and arms, I used mattress stitch. Similarly I mattress stitched the mouth on rather than using the recommended whip stitch.  I did follow directions by attaching the legs and tail to  the inside of the back and then finishing the bottom with a running stitch seam but I don't like how that looks. Instead I plan to rip out the bottom seam, remove the legs and tail and reattach/reseam all with mattress stitching instead.

This monkey doesn't sit up on his own. Some Ravellers have added weights to the stuffing at his butt and I might do that as well when I redo the finishing; I haven't entirely decided on this because I kinda like his floppiness. We'll see. Overall I'm pretty happy with him. He's pretty cute. The instructions are very clear and well written, so another winner from this designer!

10 comments:

Renee Anne said...

He is adorable. I think I have that pattern in my queue....I might even get around to making him someday :)

Elisabeth Andree said...

Gosh your monkey is the cutest:) I like everything!

Chrisknits said...

The eyes suit him. I much prefer to mattress seam than anything else. More invisible.

Dee said...

Love those big googly eyes! He is a very handsome monkey indeed.

Wanderingcatstudio said...

he's adorable!

Kim said...

He is adorable--and for what it's worth, I like floppy stuffed friends!
*smiles*

Caffeine Girl said...

That is the cutest thing! He looks perfect -- but you must be a perfectionist to redo him!

Alicia Landi said...

He's adorable! That much finishing would definitely annoy me but the cuteness is worth it.

Kepanie said...

I like the cute drama of his sticking out ears, big hands and feet, and wide-eyed stare. What love he will be getting.

stefanie g-r said...

So adorable, this is one of my favorite Rebecca Danger patterns! I'm not sure how I could have missed this post, but the good news is that now I'm caught up on your blog!