Monday, April 4, 2011

superwashing wool


Last night I finished the green blanket, then tossed it into the washing machine. After all, it's superwash wool and I expect the parents of the child will do just that. May as well see what happens.

I expected the yarn to relax and bloom but maybe not this much. The overall size of the blanket increased almost 15%. The stitch definition is not as crisp as it was now that the yarn has fuzzed up but it's still okay. Last night I laid it flat to dry, but this morning I've decided to toss it in the dryer for a few minutes. We'll see what happens next.

To join the blocks I added a row of knit stitches and then grafted them together with kitchener stitch. Earlier last week I made up some sample swatches in 2x2 rib for experimentation but all my attempts to graft in ribbed pattern looked misaligned by a half stitch. Ugh. My knitted joins are not seamless but they're not distracting. Along the outside edges I added 2 rows of seed stitch - now the edges ripple slightly but they don't curl. That I find charming.

Now, if it would just stop raining so that I could spread out the blanket for photography. Hold on, check that thought. My garden needs this rain badly; photography can wait a couple of days!

4 comments:

Dee said...

Looks great! Can't wait to see the whole blanket.

Well, I can wait a little bit while your garden gets a good long drink.

Frieda said...

That blanket is absolutely gorgeous , nice work ! I 'd have a hard time parting with it ....

Magical Jane said...

Looks like you did a beautiful job. I'm sure it will be treasured.

Wanderingcatstudio said...

It's gorgeous!!! I love how the edge "ruffles" a bit. You're making me want to cast on for another afghan.