Saturday, November 22, 2008

there be trees


Can you see them? The trees on the sleeve? Three colours make up those trees - a dark blue-green, a medium grey-blue and a bright blue. It's a pain to knit but it does create an interesting effect that highlights the centre of the trees.

Mom questioned why I'm knitting a sweater. Because she knitted dozens of sweaters for me and, she says, I never wore them. Probably mostly true. But there was a sweater knit on tiny needles with hundreds of blue stripes - pretty sure I wore that one. And another in soft and chunky light blue with 3/4 length sleeves and a scoop neckline - I can picture myself in that one, paired with a white blouse and navy dress pants.

So, to answer Mom, I'm not sure how this sweater is going to work out. I don't usually wear a lot of bright colours or patterns - but this sweater is mostly sheep's grey with a simple tree pattern purled in the same colour. Also I often find finished knitted projects fall short of how I've envisioned them - but I picked this pattern based on a sample sweater so I think my expectations are realistic. Hard to know whether I'll wear this sweater, time will tell.

1 comment:

MagicalJane said...

That looks gorgeous. Don't worry, if you don't like it, I'll wear it.

Beads, wool named after crayons, whatever next...