Sunday, July 15, 2018

Year of Project 8 - Week 3

I did finally finish my June Paper Bag Project - a very simple ribbed vanilla sock loosely based on the pattern Vanilla is the New Black in Nordlys by Viking Yarn in a blue gradient. They are lovely finished socks but oh man, knitting that yarn was painful. I'm very happy they're done. I also very happy to have finished these with a scant three yards remaining so I don't need to be bothered about finding a use for leftovers.

A few days ago I selected another random paper bag for my July Paper Bag Project, and opened it to find a skein of Painted Fleece Merino/Silk/Cashmere in beautiful tonal greens. For a couple of days I played with a design of my own, but it's not knitting up the way I hoped, so now I'm considering ripping out and knitting Gladys instead. As I'm behind in this group, selecting an existing and thoroughly tested design strikes me as a wise plan.

While I pondered all that - and wasted much time mooning over patterns - I've continued working on Afshari using Dye-Version Stretch Bamboo Sock. This really is the perfect yarn for high humidity heat wave knitting! I added 35 rounds of plain knit to lengthen the leg, as the pattern is shown as an ankle sock but I prefer my socks longer. The stretch bamboo yarn is ideal for this pattern as the cuff might otherwise be somewhat inflexible. Even so I knit the cuff on larger needles then switched down to smaller needles as soon as the last purl row of the chart was complete. I've knit the heel flap as written; it features a charming slip-stitch pattern with 2 plain stockinette stitches between each column of slipped stitches.

For the coming week my plan is to finish the first of my Afshari socks and knit at least the cuff of the second sock. I'm wrestling with the notion that I ought to cast on that July project, but I'd much rather knit the bamboo yarn, at least while the heat and humidity stretches on. The forecast is for a break in the weather on Tuesday, so we'll see what happens.


2018 Paper Bag Project - July, August, September, October, November and December

      Twisted Flower Socks - using Hikoo CoBaSi yarn in Egyptian Blue
      Feny Socks - using Lang Jawoll Superwash in turquoise and chocolate
      Double Heelix Socks - using leftovers from Feny Socks
      Pattern TBD - using unknown variegated red yarn
      Pattern TBD - using Songbird Fibers Sock in Ruby Throated Hummingbird
      Gladys - using Painted Fleece in Fundip #1 Greens

    Full Skeins from stash

          Somewhere Socks - using Mountain Colour mini set
          Pairfect Socks - using Regia Pairfect
          Mood - using unknown variegated blue yarn
          Kazak - using unknown tonal purple yarn
          Harris Tweed Socks - using Wollemeise self-striping green/gold/red yarn

      Large (more than 50 grams) and Small (less than 50 grams) scraps from stash

            Afshari - Dye-Version Stretch Bamboo Sock yarn in Peach
            Salor - in various tan, orange and brown small scraps
            Vanilla Bean Striped Socks - in various colourful small scraps
            Squircle Socks  -  in various colourful scraps plus something neutral from large scraps
            Escape Reality Socks - in various colourful scraps plus something neutral from large scraps
            Bill Huggins - in various scraps
            Mosaic Marbles socks - using Langwoll Magic Dégradé scraps with black (or white)
            Checkbox Socks - using large scraps
            Stash Buster Spiral Socks - using various scraps in green?
            Hearty Stripey Socks - using various scraps





      14 comments:

      Wanderingcatstudio said...

      That green is gorgeous!

      Leftycrafter said...

      The Afshari cuff is so cool. I am glad you lengthened the leg. I think it shows off the cuff much better. This pattern just might need to be in my library.

      Good luck on the green socks. I hope the temps and humidity break soon for you folks.

      Sam I Am...... said...

      You knit the most beautiful socks in the prettiest yarns! Way too complex for me but maybe someday.

      Ella said...

      Congrats on the finished socks! The Afshari is looking so great, I'm becoming more tempted to buy the book and knit them with every new photo you show. Can't wait to see your Gladys come to life in green.

      Becki said...

      The Gladys socks are really pretty! And I love those first blue socks (sorry I can't get back to the blog page from this commenting page and I can't remember the name of the pattern). They are really terrific. I hear you that you didn't care for the yarn, but knitted up into socks, well... they practically GLOW!

      Zana said...

      Love the blue gradient socks, and that green looks yummy! I really love the Afsham, it is coming on well.

      Renee Anne said...

      I'm wondering if the blue yarn is akin to Opal or Regia in the durability (and roughness while knitting it).....It's not a yarn in my stash (not that I need any more yarn) but I may have to look into it.

      Anonymous said...

      I can attest....Gladys is a FABULOUSLY fun pattern to knit.

      Iris said...

      As always, I absolutely love your socks. You are the most awesome sock knitter, honest!!

      Beautiful yarn too!

      JustMagicMaria said...

      The paper bag project idea is brilliant! Love your socks.

      Alleigh said...

      I remember that you really didn't like the feel of the Viking yarn but the colors came out wonderful! Only you will know how much you disliked it, everyone else will be in awe of them! Can't wait to see how the variegated green comes out! The Afshari socks just keep getting better and better each week!

      Lucy Bowen said...

      I really like the afshari socks, they are going to be perfect all weather socks. I love the blue gradient socks, even if the yarn left something to be desired! And I can't wait to see what you decide for the green yarn, I'm secretly really hoping you design your own!

      Ruth McKeon said...

      The ribbed socks look even if it was a pain to knit. The green in your paper bag is gorgeous and I'm sure will make for a gorgeous pattern and I love how your Afshari looks.

      Stefanie said...

      I like your ribbed vanillas! The color way really makes one's eye move downwards from cuff to toe.