- Petty Harbour Socks - complete
- Vanilla is the New Black Socks - complete
- There & Back Again Socks - complete
- Crosshaven Socks - complete
- Somewhere Socks - complete
- Tuxie Love - complete
- Brigit Socks - complete
- Mad Mix Socks - 40%, using various stash yarn scraps
- Gschnitztal Socks - 20% done
- Crenate Socks - 40%, using Sydney Sock from Studio June in Dark Grey Blue
- Alfrick Socks - using Sandnes Garn Sisu in grey and white
- Twisted Flower Socks - using Hikoo CoBaSi yarn in Egyptian Blue
- Feny Socks - using Lang Jawoll Superwash in turquoise and chocolate
- Double Heelix Socks - using stash yarn TBD
- Yaacov Socks - using Lang Jawoll Magic Dégradé
- Somewhere Socks - using various shades of blue scraps
- Merripog Socks - using stash yarn TBD
- Rrribb-it! Socks - using stash yarn TBD
- Glass Slippers Socks - using stash yarn TBD
- Ringwood Socks - using stash yarn TBD
- Leyburn Socks - using stash yarn TBD
- Hearty Man Plaid Socks - using stash yarn TBD
- Mojo Socks - using stash yarn TBD
I'm finally back to my Mad Mix Socks. I had trouble before the heel where I attempted a travelling pattern that was just too much work with dark yarn and blunt needles. I just kept dropping stitches when attempting the SSSKs and K3togs and finding them back in dark yarn was too frustrating. Eventually I ripped back and switched to a simpler pattern before the heel. That did the trick!
Not that I plan to let that pattern kick me in the *ss! I've just joined a light purple and will revisit the problem pattern on the instep. I'm guessing that I'll have an easier time of it now with a light coloured yarn and not having to worry about how the pattern travels around the leg. Also, I switched down a needle size at the heel, so I'm now knitting on pointy metal needles. Should do the trick!
The sock is odd looking, isn't it? When it's not on my foot, I'm not a fan; in fact, I've considered ripping out more than once. But as soon as I pull it onto my foot, I love it. Weird, huh? I guess I'd better plan to keep these for me. It is nice to knit through some of these oddments of sock yarn. For sock number two I am planning to match sock one, but if I run out of any colour then I'll switch to the next and carry on. I haven't been very scientific about this. I didn't weigh the yarn before I started and I haven't been precise about how much I've used on sock one.
On New Year's Day I pulled my first mystery bag for my KAL: 2018 Paper Bag Project Year Long KAL/CAL. Inside was a skein of Sydney Sock from Studio June yarn in a blue-grey colourway. It's a very subtle tonal so I matched it up with Crenate pattern and cast on. As you can see, I've made good progress. I really like the pattern - the charts are simple enough for TV knitting, but involved enough to keep it interesting and there's enough ribbing to make for a good fit. Just two things I'm not so happy with: the pattern bulges at the top of the heel flap and the leg length is not easily adjustable. I generally prefer my sock legs longer. With that in mind, I'm going to knit these smaller than my foot and gift them to a friend with smaller feet (and shorter legs).
So the plan for the coming week is to make progress on both pairs of socks. Not sure I'll have time to finish either pair for the next update, but I guess we'll see. It looks like the extreme cold has finally lifted so I'm hoping to get outdoors a lot more in the coming days.