Sunday, December 10, 2017

Year of Projects 7 - Week 24


Happily, I finished the knitting of Gavin's Scrappy Lengthwise Scarf on Wednesday. Unhappily, when I took it off the circular needle it was clearly too long. I had knit one many years ago on 400 sts and recalled that it was shorter than I'd hoped. So, I reckoned 500 sts might do the trick this go round.  NOPE. And the more I think on it, the more I think the first one on 400 sts was probably just right. But now what to do?!?! After sleeping on the matter it occurred to me that there was no good reason not to cut a steek (or two) to shorten it. I machine stitched to reinforce up and down through two adjacent columns of stitches and snipped off the excess. PERFECT. At the same time I conveniently snipped off all the ends awaiting finishing. BONUS. Gavin loves his new scarf and it suits him to a "T". Also, he's trying out this new beardliness - what do you think? 

Earlier this aft, I finished the latest pair of vanilla socks. The yarn - Sweet Skein O'Mine Sock - was souvenir yarn from New Brunswick from a local dyer. It's a very light fingering so I opted for an improvised pattern. Cast on 84 sts on smaller than usual needles, work K4P2 rib for a lengthy cuff, worked a decrease row by purling together those 2 adjacent purls, and then carried on for a vanilla sock on 70 sts. It all worked out fine, but there's quite a bit of yarn leftover which makes me wish I'd made the leg longer. Oh well, better leftover than short, right?

Poor Gschnitztal Socks ... still on the sidelines. I'd like to make some promises about getting back to them, but I'm just not feeling it. The light is poor and the pattern's finicky. Gah! I'd just rather knit something else. Maybe something like Mad Mix socks will fit the bill? I've cast on and we'll see where that goes. It's week 24 of this Year of Projects - nearly half way - so I'd better stop messing about and get to working at that list!


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those colors in the scarf are PERFECT for Gavin and I vote two thumbs up for the beard!

Caffeine Girl said...

You are so brave to steek. It is on my bucket list!
I can see why you are avoiding the Gschnitztal Socks. They are gorgeous, but do look very fiddly.

Wanderingcatstudio said...

Socks and scarf look great. I'm normally not a fan of beards, but it works on Gavin.

Becki said...

Gavin's a handsome fella and his beard suits him well. The scarf does too. Good save with the steeking.

Iris said...

Beautiful scarf, loving the colours.

Breathing Life said...

Well done with the steeking idea - and brave too. It looks lovely. The scarf and the model!

Lucy Bowen said...

You are quite right, the scarf suits him down to a tee. And I love the socks, what a gorgeous yarn.

Stefanie said...

I LOVE the berries in this sock's colorway with what reminds me of Kool Aid grape. Gavin looks great with his new beard lines and new scarf.
I love our new, little elf. The girls and I are not fans of the actual Elf on the Shelf as he's a bit too creepy for us. It's been really fun so far opening an advent gift and receiving such heartfelt, crafted Christmas decorations.