Sunday, August 17, 2014

Year of Projects 4: Gothic Spire 03

SOCKTOPUS :  Farmer McGregor • Om Shanti

KNIT. SOCK. LOVE. : BFF • Clandestine • Cusp • German Stockings • Gothic Spire • Hedera • In and Out • Lissajous • Marilinda • Mona • Monkey • Pointelle • Rhombus • Sake • Stalagmite • Stricken • Thelonious • Twisted Flower • Wedge

Turns out ripping back, adding decreases and reknitting the heel flap and gusset was totally the right decision. Decreasing from 42 sts to 32 sts at the top of the leg improved the fit dramatically. There's still a small bump where the leg pattern meets the ribbing at the top of the heel flap when I turn my foot certain ways but I shudder to think how far I'd have had to rip back to fix that. I suppose I could have tapered the last vertical repeat at the back of the leg ahead of the heel by omitting some of the yarn overs ... but hey, it works fine for me now, so I'm leaving well enough alone.

And there's more good news: sock one weighs 50 grams, leaving me with 58 grams for sock two! No need to order more yarn. Thank goodness this Super Cash Soft sock yarn from Studio June Yarn ships with such generous yardage! Remind me to put a bit more thought into this when I match up yarn to the remaining patterns.

Last night temperatures fell to 13° C (55° F) which is crazy cold for August, so I wore sock one while I worked on sock two. Have I mentioned how much I love these socks??!! Occasionally I think that I should be adding these to the gift pile, but I really don't think I have the strength to give them away. It's quite possible that these are my favourite socks of all the socks I've ever made. Definitely in the top three anyway.

Considering I'm more than halfway through the leg of sock two, I'd guess that this pair will be finished by the end of the week. And then it's decision time - cast on Om Shanti for the Socktopus KAL with some more Super Cash Sock yarn in a colourway called "Cocoa Dusted Truffle", or cast on Marilinda from Knit. Sock. Love. with Dye-Version's Bamboo Sock in a colourway called "Sky". What would you do?

13 comments:

Wanderingcatstudio said...

Oh - I like Marilinda!

I couldn't believe how cold it was either. Dave was loving it but I had socks and a sweater on!

Anonymous said...

Oh I do love those socks and yayyyyy to having fixed the heel although I wasn't expecting anything else. Double yayyy for having enough of yarn. I'm pretty sure though you could fix any sock problem.

Anonymous said...

I love the fact that you wore sock one whilst working on sock two, and why not?.......I think having one cold foot would provide great motivation to get the second sock off the needles as quickly as possible, lol.

Those Om Shanri Bed Socks look so cosy, I'd never want to take them off through the winter........our house is 1940's and very cold.

Anonymous said...

Hurray for ripping back!! It's never easy. You should definately keep these socks for yourself x

Stefanie said...

Of course you'd figure it out. It's looking great.

Leftycrafter said...

Keep the socks. You deserve it. As for your next socks? I vote for Marilinda. I love cables.

Gracey is not my name.... said...

Great that its working for you..I figured out that I really need to decrease more on my instep, as it is small...I like Marilinda, but both are pretty...

Lucy Bowen said...

Keep the socks for yourself and hurrah for having enough yarn. I would do om shanri since they are bed socks and the name of the yarn sounds devine!!

Sam I Am...... said...

Yay for having enough for the second sock! I'm all for that! LOL!
I would go for Marilinda. Your blue sock is gorgeous and so happy you love it. I know there were a few you made you weren't too thrilled with so glad you finally got a winner that you adore!
I wish it were cold here...I love the cold....and snow...and the North! Stay cozy.

Unknown said...

Good move on following your gut. Some day I will learn to listen to mine and rip out earlier (or not at all!). Happy knitting!

Maria said...

Yay for having enough yarn! :)

I've added "Knit, Sock, Love" to my wishlist (my birthday's coming up), so hopefully I'll be able to copy you there also ;)

Imitation = flattery as you know ;)

Unknown said...

We had the coldest August 19 in 19years in Amsterdam! It's brrr crazy! The socks are so pretty, love the color. Yay for having enough yarn!!

Iris said...

It is so unseasonably cold, isn't it? When we went to Whitby yesterday we heard that apparently it was 3 degrees C there yesterday in the early morning hours!!

The socks looks great. Glad you managed to fix the heel and that you have enough yarn after all. :)