Saturday, January 21, 2012

socks and more socks


Yesterday afternoon I finished these grey stash-busting socks. I've come to think of them as "industrial socks" because of the black/grey colourations. Very practical and sturdy. I'm pleased with the charcoal grey cuffs; they don't look out of place with the rest of the sock and they give the legs some much needed length.

At the Warm Hands Network, their shipping deadline for knitted contributions to ship to Moosonee is January 31st -  ten days from now. If I allow three business days for mailing by ExpressPost, then I have until Wednesday for knitting. Definitely time enough for one more pair, possibly two.

Next on the needles? This grey and red sock that I'm calling my "extended play" socks. There was about 30gr of this red/grey self-patterning yarn in my stash. I figure I can knit a top down sock with cuffs, heels and toes in this complementary grey yarn. And, by alternating the solid grey yarn with the red/grey yarn I can extend the red down the leg and (hopefully) through the foot.

I'm knitting this sock on 52 stitches. The grey socks - knit on 60 stitches - fit me, so I thought I'd better try to make some socks at smaller childrens sizes. Somehow or another all the socks I make end up my size; do you suppose it's an unconscious desire to keep all the socks I make?

7 comments:

Frieda said...

Nice job on both pairs of socks ! I'm really partial to the grey and red ones though ....

MagicalJane said...

Those grey socks are fabulous. I think you've discovered a great new pattern as I think they're more lovely than would have been with just the one wool.

I don't know why you make socks to fit you - you NEVER wear them do you? ;)

Alittlebitsheepish said...

Lovely socks, you are sucj a speedy sock knitter!

Wanderingcatstudio said...

The grey cuffs are perfect! Love the red socks too - and I think after this, you really deserve another pair just for you!

suse-the-slow-knitta said...

wow! you're rattling these socks out at an amazing speed!

WildflowerWool said...

Love your socks as usual!!

Sandy said...

You must be able to do socks in your sleep. You've made so many wonderful ones. I'm truly envious as it's an item on my goals...to learn how.