Sunday, October 28, 2018

Year of Projects 8: Week 18

My focus lately has been my Feny Socks for my October 2018 Paper Bag Project, but nothing about this has been easy.

First it was the needles. The sock is knitted flat from the top of the leg to the end of the instep, working around the leg. My sock needles are not nearly long enough for that many stitches (107) so I definitely needed the recommended circular needle.

I balked at ordering the needle online - I didn't want to pay for shipping and I wanted to see and feel the needles before I shelled out for them. I checked Lens Mill Store in Port Dover but the quality of the needles put me off - I don't love knitting on circs, and I absolutely a with abhor blunt needles with clumsy joins. I struck out for the same reasons at Wal-Mart. I had high hopes at Michael's Arts and Crafts but the clerk explained that they were in the process of switching suppliers and had no sock sizes available and no sign of that changing any time soon.

After a couple of weeks wasting time on a hunt for needles I gave in and bought Addi Turbo Sock Rockets at the lys - the Needle Emporium. They were waaaaay more money than I was hoping to spend, but at least knitting with this circ is as pleasant as can be. So imagine my reaction when I reached the pattern instructions that directed me to divide the stitches, placing a number on a second circ with further instructions for the third circ. NO. Just. NO. Even if I have to use waste yarn to hold stitches here and there, I just will not shell out for 2 more circular needles. I guess I should have read the materials list more carefully. GAH!

All in all it's been a tough slog with this sock... I don't love knitting flat... I don't love reading charts back and forth rather than in the round... I don't love long stretches of colour work... and I don't love knitting on circular needles. All the while the construction of this sock makes it a complete mystery as to whether these socks will even fit.

As of this morning I'm 1/3rd of the way into the final repeat of the chart after which I graft the leg together into a tube and pick up stitches for the heel and the bottom of the foot. Which is to say, I should know soon whether the sock will fit or not. Obviously I'm hoping that the fit is perfect and that it's enough to re-energize me to complete the first sock and work the second sock. Geez, I hope so, otherwise I'm not quite sure what I'll do!

In the meantime I did finish my Christmas Monster socks using the Stash Buster Spiral Socks pattern. The Instagram KAL wraps up October 31st, so that's my final entry for #monstersockkal2018. The socks are very fun and were a great way to finish up a bunch of sock yarn scraps. You know, I think I might like scrap socks more than anything else!

And yep, Nain has still been ignored!

2018 Paper Bag Project - November and December

      Twisted Flower Socks - using Hikoo CoBaSi yarn in Egyptian Blue
      Diamondback Socks - using Songbird Fibers Sock in Ruby Throated Hummingbird

Full Skeins from stash

      Somewhere Socks - using Mountain Colour mini set
      Pairfect Socks - using Regia Pairfect
      Mood - using unknown variegated blue yarn
      Kazak - using unknown tonal purple yarn
      Harris Tweed Socks - using Wollemeise self-striping green/gold/red yarn

    Large (more than 50 grams) and Small (less than 50 grams) scraps from stash

          Salor - in various tan, orange and brown small scraps
          Vanilla Bean Striped Socks - in various colourful small scraps
          Squircle Socks  -  in various colourful scraps plus something neutral from large scraps
          Escape Reality Socks - in various colourful scraps plus something neutral from large scraps
          Bill Huggins - in various scraps
          Mosaic Marbles socks - using Langwoll Magic Dégradé scraps with black (or white)
          Checkbox Socks - using large scraps
          Hearty Stripey Socks - using various scraps
          Double Heelix Socks - using leftovers from Feny Socks
          Jelly Rolls - using all the leftover Stretch Bamboo in various colours




    10 comments:

    Leftycrafter said...

    Looking forward to seeing how the fit of the flat knitted sock is. I can not imagine needing 3 circs to do a sock! Depending on the size you use for socks, some companies do not even make circulars smaller than a 2.5mm (US 1.5). I have used the knitters pride nova platina cubics for some time now and have both circs and DPN's and love them. Not expensive either! Their smallest circ is the 2.5mm. Love the cubic shape and it does not change my gauge either. Much easier on my hands and wrist too.

    Love your monster socks. You make some of the best scrap socks ever!

    Ruth (the-habitual-creative) said...

    Oh dear Lynn, the Feny socks sound like such a chore and I really hope they fit perfectly so that you are spurred on to finishing the first and second sock. You are far more dedicated to them than I ever would be I'm afraid.

    Lucy Bowen said...

    Oh no for the Feny socks - I would have given up so good on you for getting through it! Your monster socks are gorgeous.

    Wanderingcatstudio said...

    You have far more patience and fortitude than me - I would have given up on them by now! Kudos to you!

    Becki said...

    Your circular needle issues sound like way too much trouble - and I can hear that coming through your post. The pattern on that sock, though is pretty awesome looking. I sure hope you're pleased with the fit when you get to that point. Your Christmas Monster socks sure do look pretty. What a satisfying thing to make - and with scrap yarn?!? I can see why it would be a favorite thing to do.

    Stefanie said...

    Wow, what patience you have to knit such a sock that has to be knitted flat first and then seamed.

    Breathing Life said...

    I am sad for you about the needle issue, but man those socks are going to be awesome. Such an interesting construction. Your monster socks are lovely too. Well done.

    Domics Pinnwand said...

    What a pity that your needle issues were so frustating! But I totally LOVE the monster christmas sock! I would love to knit ALL the monster socks at the moment, but I need to produce some leftovers first... ;-)

    Sam I Am...... said...

    OMG! You terrified me with your tale of the flat knit socks! It would be a good Halloween scary story! 3 circular needles? What are they nuts? There may be some sick people out in the knitting world....be careful! They look beautiful though and I pray it all comes together for you and fits as I am sure you won't be making them again.
    The stash buster socks are darling. I am all over them! Does that mean a zillion ends to weave in though? I want to make them except for a zillion ends to weave in. Tell me is isn't so. Happy Halloween!

    HighlandHeffalump said...

    I would have given up on those socks, all credit to you for carrying on with them, I hope you love them when they are eventually finished.