Sunday, September 23, 2018

Year of Projects 8: Week 13


My top priority for last week was to finish my Test Knit Socks, and happily they were finished a few days before the testing period ended. I expect that the pattern will be updated and published later this week; I'll provide a link once it's "live". In the meantime I can share my finished photos. There is an interesting leg chart with slipped stitch cables in two colours and then the rest is a waffle stitch rib which makes for a very nicely fitting sock.  I'm quite happy with how they turned out, although the variegated red is a bit loud!

My second priority - my Instagram KAL #monstersockkal2018. - also saw some progress. My first sock is done and I'm approaching the heel section on the second sock. Completing this pair will be my main focus for the coming week. Fortunately most of the colour changes were effected using Russian joins so there aren't many ends to weave in.

While scrolling through projects from other participants on Instagram, I came across a "Christmas" pair in greens and reds from @danaraeknits. I love this idea, so I might just make a Christmas pair of my own after this "Autumn" pair are done. If you're on instagram you're welcome to join up. The KAL continues until October 31st.  Just pick your scraps or minis and post with the hashtag #monstersockkal2018. That's all there is to it!

My Nain socks have once again been completely ignored. I'm starting to feel guilty so I hope to pay some attention to them in the coming week as well. We've shifted abruptly into fall weather so knitting wool socks rather than bamboo now holds more appeal. The Nain socks are definitely summer socks and not fall socks. Never mind though, they're pretty and they need to be finished!

And I can hardly believe that we're nearly to the end of September! Where does the time go? Come October 1st I'll be opening another bag for my 2018 Paper Bag Project. Any of the remaining three projects is more complicated than vanilla socks, so I'm looking forward to something a bit challenging.

2018 Paper Bag Project - September, October, November and December

      Twisted Flower Socks - using Hikoo CoBaSi yarn in Egyptian Blue
      Feny Socks - using Lang Jawoll Superwash in turquoise and chocolate
      Test Knit Socks - using unknown variegated red yarn
      Diamondback Socks - using Songbird Fibers Sock in Ruby Throated Hummingbird

Full Skeins from stash

      Somewhere Socks - using Mountain Colour mini set
      Pairfect Socks - using Regia Pairfect
      Mood - using unknown variegated blue yarn
      Kazak - using unknown tonal purple yarn
      Harris Tweed Socks - using Wollemeise self-striping green/gold/red yarn

    Large (more than 50 grams) and Small (less than 50 grams) scraps from stash

          Salor - in various tan, orange and brown small scraps
          Vanilla Bean Striped Socks - in various colourful small scraps
          Squircle Socks  -  in various colourful scraps plus something neutral from large scraps
          Escape Reality Socks - in various colourful scraps plus something neutral from large scraps
          Bill Huggins - in various scraps
          Mosaic Marbles socks - using Langwoll Magic Dégradé scraps with black (or white)
          Checkbox Socks - using large scraps
          Stash Buster Spiral Socks - using various scraps in green?
          Hearty Stripey Socks - using various scraps
          Double Heelix Socks - using leftovers from Feny Socks
          Nain - using large scraps of Stretch Bamboo in light blue
          Jelly Rolls - using all the leftover Stretch Bamboo in various colours



    8 comments:

    Becki said...

    The red socks are awesome! On the computer they look the perfect shade of red. ;^)

    Leftycrafter said...

    The red is perfect in my mind. But then I like bright colors during winter months. Your scrappy socks are cheery too. Almost time for a new bag. Oh goodie. Looking forward to seeing what is pulled.

    Gracey is not my name.... said...

    I love those test socks! Love the red! And your Monster Socks are definitely fall-ish...

    Lucy Bowen said...

    Your test socks are stunning, I love the colour combination. And your monster socks are also gorgeous, I love the way the stripes turned out.

    Ruth (the-habitual-creative) said...

    The test socks are lovely Lynn, love the colours but those Autumn socks are really gorgeous! I love the colours you've used and can just imagine how great a Christmas pair would look!

    Stefanie said...

    I like how your monster sock came out. The yellows and browns are warm. The red socks are amazing! They are so neat in how they came out from cuffs to toes.

    JustMagicMaria said...

    Love the red pair, and the Autumn sock! Isn't it silly we feel guilty for neglecting WIPs? It's not like that bamboo yarn would mind hanging out until next Spring. :) But I'm the same way.

    Domics Pinnwand said...

    I am totally in love with the yellow stripey socks! I want to knit all the monster socks, but I am running a little short on leftovers, so I will probably have to break in a fresh ball for my next pair.