Sunday, January 15, 2017

Year of Projects 6: Week 29

Vallisneria Spiralis
Things are really moving along with my Vallisneria Socks. This picture is from Saturday morning - just two more repeats and then the toe. We're winter camping at the cottage this weekend, so with the 2.5 hour drive each way I'd expect that I'll be well into sock two by the time we come home on Monday.

The pattern is named for a fresh water aquatic plant Vallisneria, commonly called eel grass or tape grass. The KAL theme was "Biology" so I picked out this tonal green yarn from the stash and matched it up to this pattern for Vallisneria Socks by Jean Clement.

As written the pattern is knit on 2.75mm with a primary stitch count of 64 stitches. Breezing through the Ravelry projects, I noted a couple of mentions of the sock working up small. So I opted to add two pattern repeats and cast on 80 stitches and then shifted down to 2.25mm needles. I couldn't be happier with the result. The pattern is quite stretchy horizontally, so when worn it opens up nicely without being terribly stretched.

Just before starting the heel flap I purled together every instance of two purls stitches to bring the stitch count for the heel flap down from 40 to 30. I have pointy heels - narrower and longer heel flaps work best for me. I continued with gusset decrease until I had 30 sole stitches. Add those to the 40 instep stitches and the primary stitch count for the foot is 70 sts. That's on the high side for me, but seems to suit the pattern. When I reach the toe I'll employ the same decrease strategy to reduce the instep stitches from 40 to 30 sts before starting the toe decreases.

I'm actually amazed at how much I like these socks. I almost never repeat a pattern but with this one I just might. I'll admit that I still think the pattern's a bit pricey for what it is, but the fact that I'm so happy with the result goes a long way to making me happy with my purchase. That being said, I did have to do a lot of modification to get the fit where I wanted it, so that's not a great reflection on the pattern. Never mind all that though - awesome green socks!!!!

13 comments:

Wanderingcatstudio said...

When my fishtank had live plants (before the great algae takeover of 2014), we had lots of Val growing it in.
The socks look great... love the colour.

Renee Anne said...

Those look lovely. I'm almost tempted to add them to my queue buuuuuuut, I have so many other socks I want to knit. ::sigh:: And some of them I know I want to knit more than once (like my Monkey Socks...but I want to do the no-purl version...and Hermione's Everyday Socks, of which I'm on the second pair).

Leftycrafter said...

I'm loving those socks. If a pattern is loved enought to repeat, than the price is well worth it.

Anonymous said...

This is one lovely pattern. I LOVE the green sock yarn; it's beautiful.

Anonymous said...

That yarn is PERFECT too...it has great stitch definition.

BEAUTIFUL!

Maria said...

Oh, they're beautiful! I love both the colour and the pattern :-)

Becki said...

I love how your socks mirror the colors and patterns of the plant the pattern was named after. That is brilliant!

Breathing Life said...

they are lovely - I think they will go into my queue of things to do! (see I am a poet).

Sam I Am...... said...

How did I miss your post Sunday? I might be 'losing it'...you never know with old people...lol! Anyway, I love those socks and the pattern and the biological connection....the yarn is perfect for that. I like how you adjusted for your heel....I never have but it is something to think about because I have a quad A heel....like a knife blade! LOL! Gorgeous socks!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the tip, Lynn, on how to wash my possum socks!

Becki said...

I was so sure I had already left a comment, but a week later, I'm not seeing it so hopefully, I am mistaken and this isn't a repeat. I can't get over how perfectly named the Vallisneria socks are. Made with the green yarn those socks are a great interpretation of the plant. So clever!

Becki said...

Oh funny! I see I did comment twice above. Well, I guess it can't be said too many times how clever and pretty is the design of those socks and how perfectly that green yarn works. :)

Lucy Bowen said...

Wow, fabulous socks. I love reading about your mods.